Eren-1 power station

From Global Energy Monitor

Eren-1 power station is a proposed 2-unit 490-megawatt (MW)[1] coal-fired power plant in Kırklareli province, Turkey

Location

The map below shows the approximate location where the plant would be built in Merkez town, Kırklareli city.

Loading map...

Background on Plant

The EIA application for the plant was submitted on 28th April 2018[2] and received a positive opinion from the Ministry of Environment on 27th June 2018.[2] On 3rd August 2018, the public permitting meeting as a part of EIA process was planned to be held. However, on the meeting day, the local community organised a huge protest as they oppose the power plant due to its risks to human health and agricultural land. The EIA meeting was cancelled as company representatives were blockaded from entering the meeting building.[3] Similarly, back in January 2018, public permitting meeting for Çerkezköy power station (a proposed plant in Trakya region) was also cancelled due to increased tension and disagreements between the local community and the company.[4]

As of December 2019, there have not been any further actions and announcement from the company. The plant's pre-licence is online and valid until 9th August 2021.[5]

Local community gathered in front of the meeting building and around company representatives cars protest the plant, August 2018, © Doğu Eroğlu, Diken.

In September 2020 the plant's application to operate and its Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) were rejected by the Ministry of Environment and Urbanization.[6] The plant is cancelled.


Environmental Impact

Local community and environmental groups claim that 84% of the project area is agricultural land and the remaining 16% is forest cover.[2] Local community leaders mostly stressed during the protests that agriculture, livestock and cheesemaking are the main economic activities in the area and will be affected by the plant; further locals are worried about the threat to public health.[2][7]

Project Details

  • Sponsor: DEBA madencilik
  • Parent company: DEBA madencilik
  • Location: Kırklareli, Turkey
  • Coordinates: : 41.632, 27.030 (approximate)
  • Status: Cancelled
  • Gross capacity: 490 MW (2 x 245 MW)
  • Type:
  • Projected in service:
  • Coal type: Lignite
  • Coal source:
  • Source of financing:

Articles and resources

References

  1. EREN-1 EIA application file, Ministry of Environment and Urbanism online EIA database, April 2018.
  2. 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Eren-1 Duyuru, Ministry of Environment and Urbanism online EIA database, June 2018
  3. "Tarım ve hayvancılık zengini Kırklareli Ovası termik santralden kaçmaya çalışıyor, Diken, Aug. 5 2018.
  4. Halk şerh düştü, Çerkezköy Haber, Feb 1 2018.
  5. EMRA Pre-Licence website, accessed December 2019.
  6. Mücadele kazandırıyor: Kırklareli’deki termik santral projesi reddedildi, Yesil Gazete, Sep. 23, 2020
  7. Köylülerden Trakya’yı ‘cehenneme çevirecek’ termik santrale izin yok, Kuzey Ormanları, Aug. 3 2018.

Related GEM.wiki articles

External resources