Ewing Fork 1 Mine
|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
Ewing Fork No. 1 Surface Mine is a coal mining operation in Raleigh County, West Virginia, operated by Simmons Fork Mining and owned by Alpha Metallurgical Resources.
Below if the exact location of the mine.
Mine became started production in 2004 and was operated by Simmons Fork Mining, Inc. until 2014, after which it changed hands 4 times in a 4 year period. Operator became Pioneer Fuel Cooperation in 2014, Republic Energy inc. in 2016, Pioneer Fuel in 2017, and Republic Energy LLC in 2018. All of these operating firms are subsidiaries of Alpha Metallurgical Resources(AMR) .
In 2014, AMR announced that it was planning to shut down 11 mines in West Virginia including Ewing Fork Mine #1 due to declining coal demand. However, MSHA database indicates that production at the mine continued through 2014, although at a lower rate of production.
In 2020, the mine had 111 employees and produced 0.26 million tons.
- MSHA ID: 4609026
- Operator: Republic Energy LLC
- Controller: Alpha Metallurgical Resources Inc
- County: Raleigh
- State: WV
- Coordinates: 37.924558, -81.307285
- Production: 256,701 (2020)
- Coal Type: Bituminous
- Mining Method: Surface
- Mine Status: Active
- Average No. of Employees: 111 (2020)
Articles and resources
Related GEM.wiki articles
- West Virginia and coal
- U.S. coal politics
- Coal and jobs in the United States
- Coal phase-out
- Headquarters of U.S. coal mining companies
- Global list of coal mining companies and agencies
- Proposed coal mines
- Existing U.S. Coal Plants
To see a listing of coal mines in a particular state, click on the map:
- U.S. department of labor, MSHA, Mine Data Retrieval System, accessed June 6 2021
- (March 15, 2021) Form 10-K Alpha Metallurgical Resources, Inc. Annual report . United States Securities and Exchange Commission. Report.
- (October 3, 2013) Form 8-K Alpha Metallurgical Resources, Inc. . United States Securities and Exchange Commission. Report.
- Alpha Natural Resources to shut 11 coal mines in West Virginia, US NS Energy, August 1, 2014
- "Major U.S. Coal Mines," Energy Information Administration