Fahud-Sohar Gas Pipeline
|This article is part of the Global Fossil Infrastructure Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
Fahud-Sohar NGL pipeline is a natural gas pipeline under construction in Oman.
The pipeline runs from the New Fahud NGL Plant to the Steam Cracker Unit at Sohar.
- Operator: Oman Oil Refineries & Petroleum Industries (Orpic) 
- Parent: Sultanate of Oman; Oman Oil Company SAOC
- Length: 301 kilometers
- Diameter: 32 inches
- Status: Construction
- Start year: 2021
- Cost: US$303 million
- Associated Projects: Fahud-Sohar NGL Pipeline
The Fahud-Sohar pipeline is a part of the Liwa Plastics Industrial Complex (LPIC), which will manufacture polyethylene a key ingredient in plastics manufacturing. It runs parallel to the existing 32-inch Fahud–Sohar Pipeline and is expected to supply gas to the North Power station.
On February 26, 2016, Punj Lloyd group announced that it won contracts for the construction of a 14-inch diameter, 300-kilometer natural gas liquid (NGL) pipeline and a 32-inch diameter, 301-kilometer gas pipeline as part of the project. It stated that the pipelines need to be completed within 38 and 35 months, respectively.
In May 2020, construction on the LPIC was nearly complete and the complex had begun testing. It was slated to begin commercial polyethylene production by the end of Q3 in 2021, though delays were also expected.
As of October 2021, commercial operation had yet to be confirmed for the LPIC, and the associated Fahud-Sohar Gas Pipeline is still considered under construction.
Articles and resources
- "Liwa Plastics project in Oman is on track for 2020 completion | Market Report Company - analytics, Prices, polyethylene, polypropylene, polyvinylchloride, polystyrene, Russia, Ukraine, Europe, Asia, reports". www.mrcplast.com (in русский). Retrieved 2020-08-07.
- "Oil & Gas News (OGN)". www.oilandgasnewsworldwide.com. Retrieved 2020-08-07.
- "Liwa Plastics Project, Sohar - Chemical Technology". Chemical Technology. Retrieved 2020-08-10.
- "Liwa Plastics set for commercial launch by end-Q3". Oman Observer. 2021-08-01. Retrieved 2021-10-28.
- Punj Lloyd (February 6, 2016). "Punj Lloyd wins Pipeline contracts worth Rs. 2,070 crores (US$ 304 million) in Oman" (PDF). punjlloydgroup.com. Retrieved August 7, 2020.
- "OQ's Liwa Plastics Industries Complex Starts Commissioning | OQ". oq.com. Retrieved 2021-10-28.
- McQue, Katie (2021-05-02). "Oman's OQ expects delays in Liwa petchem, LPG projects on pandemic". www.spglobal.com. Retrieved 2021-10-28.