Fos Tonkin LNG Terminal
|This article is part of the Global Fossil Infrastructure Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
Fos Tonkin LNG Terminal is an LNG terminal in Bouches-du-Rhône, France.
The map below shows the terminal, in the commune of Fos-sur-Mer, in Istres Arondissement, Bouches-du-Rhône Department, Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur Region.
Fos Tonkin LNG Terminal is a liquefied natural gas (LNG) regasification terminal in Bouches-du-Rhône, France. The terminal opened in 1972, and was expanded in 2005. In 2012, a $35 million renovation was begun which would allow the terminal to continue operating through 2020.
According to Food and Water Europe's profile on gas use in France, "Between January 2012 and March 2019 (and for Dunkerque since it started operating in January 2017), the four existing LNG terminals were only used at an average of about 30% of their capacity. At the end of 2016 while the Dunkirk terminal was just about to be commissioned, Engie, its main operator, announced it would cut 1,150 jobs in the French LNG sector. Despite these more than sufficient infrastructures, especially in a context of important gas demand reduction, France receives significant support (notably via the List of Projects of Common Interest) to further develop its gas network and transmission capacity."
In February 2019, terminal owner Elengy announced that it was preparing to sell capacity at the Fos Tonkin LNG Terminal for the next 10-year period. In January 2020, Elengy confirmed results of the sale, noting that the terminal was now fully booked from 2021 through 2028.
- Owner: Elengy
- Parent: Engie
- Location: Fos-sur-Mer Commune, Istres Arondissement, Bouches-du-Rhône Department, Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur Region, France
- Coordinates: 43.454, 4.85167 (exact)
- Capacity: 2.4 mtpa
- Status: Operating
- Type: Import
- Start Year: 1972
Note: mtpa = million tonnes per year; bcfd = billion cubic feet per day
Articles and resources
- Fos Tonkin LNG Terminal, Global Energy Observatory, accessed April 2017.
- Fos Tonkin LNG Terminal, A Barrel Full, accessed July 2017.
- 50 years of LNG– 1972: Fos Tonkin, an LNG terminal with an exemplary history, Engie press release, 11 May 2015.
- Elengy: Fos Tonkin LNG Terminal Celebrates 40th Anniversary, France, LNG World News, 7 Dec. 2012.
- France, Food and Water Europe, accessed December 4, 2019
- "Mise en vente de capacités au terminal de Fos Tonkin pour la période 2021-2030". Elengy press release. January 18, 2019.
- "Elengy est fière d'annoncer la prolongation de l'exploitation du terminal méthanier de Fos Tonkin après 2020". Elengy press release. January 17, 2020.
- The LNG Industry: Annual Report 2020, page 52, International Group of Liquefied Natural Gas Importers, accessed April 29, 2020