Frederick County plant
Alcoa studied building a 950 MW coal plant for several months before cancelling it on economic concerns. The company reported that construction costs had increased 70 percent since it began considering the project. The plant would have supplied 350 MW of power to the Eastalco Alcoa Works smelter in Adamstown, with the remainder sold into the grid.
Size: 950 MW
Status: Cancelled 12/07
- Alan Brody, "Power plant plug pulled," SdMdNews.com, December 14, 2007.
Related SourceWatch Articles
- Maryland and coal
- Carbon Capture and Storage
- Existing U.S. Coal Plants
- US proposed coal plants (both active and cancelled)
- Coal plants cancelled in 2007
- Coal plants cancelled in 2008
- State-by-state guide to information on coal in the United States (or click on the map)