Fujairah LNG Terminal
|This article is part of the Global Fossil Infrastructure Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
Fujairah LNG Terminal is a proposed LNG terminal in Fujairah, United Arab Emirates. In 2016, the project was shelved by Abu Dhabi.
- Parent: EmiratesLNG
- Location: Fujairah, Fujairah, United Arab Emirates
- Coordinates: 25.266667, 56.333333 (approximate)
- Status: Cancelled
- Type: Import
- Start Year:
Note: mtpa = million tonnes per year; bcfd = billion cubic feet per day
In 2012, the United Arab Emirates's natural gas reserves were 212 trillion cubic feet. This made United Arab Emirates the fifth largest gas reserve in the world. In July 2017 Al Jazerra reported that the United Arab Emirates receives about two billion cubic feet of gas daily from Qatar.
In May of 2016, Abu Dhabi announced that was delaying the construction of the LNG import terminal in exchange for prioritizing a floating liquefied natural gas unit. There have been no development updates since 2016, and the project is now presumed to be cancelled. However, in May of 2017 S&P reported that the Port of Fujairah General Manager is considering LNG ship-to-ship transfers. S&P theorizes that compliance with the 2020 global sulfur cap prompted Fujairah's most recent LNG project. Most LNG varieties have no detectable sulfur. There have been no developments on the ship-to-ship transfers since 2017, and the idea appears to never have moved forward. However, in February of 2020, there were plans to construct an underground oil storage facility in the Port of Fujairah.
According to the International Gas Union’s World LNG 2017 report, UAE was the 12th largest LNG exporter by share between 2015 and 2016. The country exports about 5.6 million tons a year.
Articles and resources
- Abu Dhabi Puts Fujairah LNG Terminal On Hold Maritime Link, May 5, 2016.
- Fujairah LNG Terminal, News, accessed April 2017
- "Port of Fujairah plans LNG ship-to-ship transfers, new infrastructure," S&P, May 18, 2017.
- Robert Jordan, "Pearls to petroleum transforms Abu Dhabi," The National, March 9, 2012.
- Susan Kurdli, "The energy factor in the GCC crisis," Al Jazerra, July 28, 2017.
- Mehak Srivastava, Mena midstream sector enters pivotal phase MEED.com, February, 19, 2020
- "2017 World LNG Report" International Gas Union, Accessed June 20, 2017.