GASUN Gas Pipeline
|This article is part of the Global Fossil Infrastructure Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
GASUN Gas Pipeline was a proposed natural gas pipeline in Brazil.
Originating at a junction with the Gasbol Gas Pipeline in Ribas do Rio Pardo, Mato Grosso do Sul state, the pipeline was to run north-northeast through Goiânia (Goiás state), Palmas (Tocantins state) and Belém (Pará state) to Maranhão.
- Operator: Transpetro
- Parent Company: Petrobras
- Proposed capacity: 10.95 billion cubic meters per year
- Length: 3,169 miles / 5,100 km
- Status: Cancelled
- Start Year: 2026
The National Unification Gas Pipeline (Gas Unificação – GASUN) was a proposed 4,989-kilometre (3,100 mi) natural gas pipeline in Brazil. GASUN was designed to connect the Gasbol gas pipeline with the northern Amazon and the Northeast states (Tocantins, Pará, Maranhão and Piauí) allowing transportation of Bolivian gas into these regions. The project was expected to cost US$2.48 billion.
The first stage of GASUN was to begin at a junction with the Gasbol Gas Pipeline near Usina Mimoso, in the municipality of Ribas do Rio Pardo, Mato Grosso do Sul. From here the pipeline would run northeast towards Brasília, passing through Goiânia (Goiás state). The proposed pipeline's longest and most costly portion was the 2,260-kilometer (1,400 mi) long central-north branch, designed to connect Goiás and Maranhão, passing through Palmas (Tocantins state) and Belém (Pará state) and originally scheduled for completion by 2026.
The pipeline was listed as 'under study' in official government reports as late as 2007, but there have been no subsequent mentions of GASUN from the Brazilian government or the press, and the project is presumed to be cancelled.
Articles and resources
- "MS vai apresentar três alternativas de rotas do gasoduto". Dourados News. February 9, 2004.
- BRAZIL: Future to Run on Natural Gas, Inter Press Service, Jan. 29, 2004
- "Plano Nacional de Energia 2030 (p 70)". MME (Ministério de Minas e Energia). 2007.
- "Matriz Energética Nacional 2030 (p 42)" (PDF). MME (Ministério das Minas e Energia). November 2007.
- "REQUERIMENTO DE INFORMAÇÕES – Gasoduto da Unificação Nacional (GASUN)". Deputado Geraldo Resende, Câmara dos Deputados do Brasil. January 2004.
Related GEM.wiki articles
Wikipedia also has an article on GASUN Gas Pipeline (GASUN). This article may use content from the Wikipedia article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License].