GNL Del Plata FSRU
|This article is part of the Global Fossil Infrastructure Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
GNL Del Plata FSRU is a proposed floating storage and regasification unit (FSRU) in Montevideo, Uruguay. There have been no development updates since 2015 and the project is presumed to be cancelled.
The terminal will be located 2.5km offshore in the River Plate in the Punta Sayago area in western Montevideo.
- Operator: Gas Sayago (joint venture between Uruguay’s state oil company ANCAP and state power company UTE)
- FSRU Leesse: Mitsui
- FSRU Owner: MOL Group
- Location: Punta Sayago, Montevideo, Uruguay
- Coordinates: -34.883611, -56.181944 (approximate)
- Capacity: 0.1 mtpa; 0.01 bcfd
- Status: Cancelled
- Type: Import
- Start Year: 2018
Note: mtpa = million tonnes per year; bcfd = billion cubic feet per day
In 2007 Argentina and Uruguay signed an Energy Cooperation Agreement for the construction of a regasification plant close to Montevideo in Uruguay. A contract was awarded to Foster Wheeler to perform the conceptual study, the front end engineering and design (FEED) and to prepare the bid to select the company to design, build, own and operate the Montevideo LNG project.
In 2012 Argentina pulled out of the agreement to develop its own domestic shale resources. In May 2013, GDF-Suez came out as the front runner of the competition for this build, own, operate and transfer (BOOT) contract for this Uruguay LNG terminal project.
In 2015 Uruguay cancelled its contract with the 50-50 Engie-Marubeni Corp joint venture, and made a deal with Mitsui to build the FSRU.
The FSRU was planned for 2018.
There have been no development updates since 2015 and the project is presumed to be cancelled.
Articles and resources
- "Uruguay to go on his own with Montevideo LNG Regas Terminal," 2b1stconsulting, May 22, 2013
- Montevideo LNG Terminal, A Barrel Full, accessed April 2017
- Punta Sayago FLNG Terminal, A Barrel Full, accessed April 2017
- "Uruguay gets delayed LNG terminal project back on schedule," Platts, 16 Jul 2015
- Karen Thomas, "Mitsui OSK and Gas Sayago agree to continue Uruguay FSRU project," LNG Shipping World, 05 Oct 2015
- "GNL Del Plata Project, Port of Montevideo," Offshore Technology, accessed Nov 2017