Gadarwara Super Thermal Power Project
The Gadarwara Super Thermal Power Project is a 1,600-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in Madhya Pradesh, India.
The undated satellite photo below shows the plant in Gadarwara tehsil.
An earlier proposal was for setting up 4 × 660 MW coal-based plants, but was later reduced to 2 × 800 MW units covering 1350 acres. The projected coal requirement is 7.5 million tonnes a year (MTPA), with plans to obtain the coal from the Talaipalli coal block. Water requirement of 4675m3/hr will be sourced from the Narmada river through a pipeline at a distance of about 30 km from the project site.
Construction began in March 2014.
In July 2017, it was reported that NTPC invested US$931.04 million in the project.
On January 12, 2018, farmers of the Gadarwara tehsil held a protest and submitted a memorandum to the district administration to meet their demands for jobs. This protest lasted for more than 15 days. On February 1, 2018, farmers also protested outside the office of the district collector. On February 23, 2018, a massive agitation was planned for New Delhi if the demands of farmers protesting against the Gadarwara power plant were not met. The farmers are against the land acquisition of the Narsinghpur district and have been protesting since December 2017. The farmers cite that in 2013, when the land was acquired, they were promised new jobs. However, they did not receive these promises.
Location: Gangai, Umaraiya, Mehrakheda and Chorbarheta villages in Gadarwara tehsil, Narsinghpur district, Madhya Pradesh, India
Coordinates: 22.8617522, 78.8661289 (exact)
Capacity: 1,600 MW (Units 1-2: 800 MW)
Start year: 2018 (Unit 1), 2021 (Unit 2)
Coal Type: 3900 kcal/kg
Coal Source: Talaipalli coal block
Estimated annual CO2:
Source of financing: US$931.04 million in equity from NTPC
Permits: Environmental Clearance, India MoEF, March 22, 2013
Articles and resources
- Environmental Clearance, MoEF, March 22, 2013.
- "NTPC to construct 2,640 MW power plant in Bundelkhand," DNA. Mar 2, 2014
- "NTPC Investor presentation," August 1, 2013.
- "Monthly Report on Broad Status of Thermal Power Projects in the Country," Government of India Ministry of Power, October 2017
- "Monthly Report on Broad Status of Thermal Power Projects in the Country," Government of India Ministry of Power, February 2018
- "Monthly Report on Broad Status of Thermal Power Projects in the Country," Government of India Ministry of Power, October 2018
- "NTPC's Gadarwara power plant unit 2 begins commercial operations". www.nsenergybusiness.com. 2021-03-01. Retrieved 2021-05-07.
- "Preview of Gadarwara Coal-Based Power Plant (1600MW) | Transaction | IJGlobal". ijglobal.com. Retrieved 2020-10-15.
- “The Dark Side of NTPC”, Center for Financial Accountability, October 2018.
- “’Pro-farmer’ Madhya Pradesh government in a fix as land acquisition protest gains steam”, Down to Earth, February 5, 2018.