Gajamara Ultra Mega Power Project
Gajamara Ultra Mega Power Project is a 4,000-megawatt (MW) Ultra Mega Power Projects proposed by the government of India for Odisha.
The project is planned for Gajamara area, Kantamal Taluk, Boudh (Baudh) District. The map shows the location of Boudh district but not the exact location of the project:
On September 4, 2015, the state government of Odisha said it had chosen Gajamara as the site for the state's next Ultra Mega Power Project (UMPP): "The site is a very strategic location being situated close to coal mines. We proposed this site to the Union power minister Piyush Goyal today and he has given his consent. The state government has offered 1,700 acres of land for the UMPP."
In March 2016 the India government said it planned to bid out three ultra mega power projects that year: Cheyyur in Tamil Nadu, Bedabahal in Odisha and Banka in Bihar. Gajamara was not included.
In June 2016 the India government said a UMPP proposal for Odisha had been scrapped, along with three other UMPP proposals in India. The UMPPs are not named, but the government also restated its plan to bid out Sundargarh Ultra Mega Power Project (also known as Bedabahal UMPP) in Odisha. Since the Sakhigopal Ultra Mega Power Project and Ghogarpalli Ultra Mega Power Project in Odisha were already shelved in July 2015, the cancellation appears to refer to Gajamara, the only other UMPP proposal in Odisha.
Other UMPPs in Odisha
In July 2015 the Union power ministry said it would soon invite fresh bids for the Sundargarh Ultra Mega Power Project in Odisha, and that proposals for UMPPs at Bijoypatana in Bhadrak district (Sakhigopal Ultra Mega Power Project) and Narla in Kalahandi district (Ghogarpalli Ultra Mega Power Project) had been shelved.
- Location: Gajamara area, Kantamal Taluk, Boudh District, Odisha
- Coordinates: 20.833, 84.333 (approximate)
- Status: Cancelled
- Nameplate capacity: 4,000 MW
- Projected in service:
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source:
- Source of financing:
Related GEM.wiki articles
Articles and resources
- "Odisha may get another UMPP at Gajamara," Business Standard, Sep 4, 2015
- "Energiser for mega power projects," Telegraph, March 1, 2016
- Debapriya Mondal, "Government plans to scrap four SPVs set up for UMPPs due to lack of interest from host states," Economic Times, June 9, 2016
- "Rebidding for Bhedabahal UMPP by September," Business Standard, July 22, 2015