Ganeshpur coal mine
|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
The Ganeshpur Opencast Coal Mine Project is a proposed 5.5 million-tonnes-per-annum opencast mine, operated by Tata Steel, and located in villages Jala, Punderlawa, Tehsil Balumath, District Latehar, State Jharkand, India.
The satellite image below shows the area of the proposed mine in Tehsil Balumath, District Latehar, Jharkhand.
Background on Mine
The Proposed Ganeshpur Opencast Coal Mine Project of 5.5 MTPA on a mining lease area of 398 ha is located in villages Jala, Punderlawa, Tehsil Balumath, District Latehar, State Jharkand, India.
The mine was allotted jointly to M/s Tata Steel (As leader) and M/s Adhunik Power & Natural Resource Ltd (As associate) for end use of coal in their thermal power projects. The Project received the environment clearance on 24 January 2014. The Project involves R&R of 220 PAFs of villages Jala (126 nos), Seregara (2nos) Nagra(81 nos), Pundarlawa (11 nos) involved. Life of the mine at the rated capacity of 5.5 MTPA is 25 years. Public Hearing for the project was held on 2 June 2012.. However, the mine was cancelled by Supreme Court in wake of the coalgate scam and further reallotted to GMR Chattisgarh Energy Limited by Ministry of Coal on 22 April 2015 and environment Clearance transferred on 10 June 2015.
As per GMR website the mine will facilitate transportation to the GCEL plant in Chhattisgarh due to its vicinity to the adjoining freight corridor. However, till early 2019 there was no movement on the development of the mine and it was surrounded in legal cases with various clearancs still pending.
- Sponsor: GMR Chattisgarh Energy Limited
- Parent company: GMR Chattisgarh Energy Limited
- Location: villages Jala, Punderlawa, Tehsil Balumath, District Latehar, State Jharkand, India
- GPS coordinates: Latitude 23.8016667, 23.8197222 Longitude 84.85, 84.875
- Status: Cancelled
- Production Capacity: 5.5 MTPA
- Total Resource: 137.88 MT
- Mineable Reserves: 91.8 MT
- Coal Type: Grade F
- Mine Size: 398 Ha
- Mine Type: Opencast
- Start Year:
- Source of Financing:
- Permits and Applications: Environemnt Clearance for Ganeshpur Coal Mine, MoEF&CC India, 24 January 2014, Environment Clearance Transfer to GMR Chattisgarh Energy Limited, MoEF&CC India, 10 June 2015
- Size of Expansion:
- Permits and Applications:
Articles and Resources
- Environemnt Clearance for Ganeshpur Coal Mine, MoEF&CC India, 24 January 2014
- Environment Clearance Transfer to GMR Chattisgarh Energy Limited, MoEF&CC India, 10 June 2015
- Coal assets overiew of GMR accessed on March 23, 2020
- Coal Ministry may fine GMR, Essar ₹900 cr for ‘non-performance’, Twesh Mishra, Business Line, 19 April 2019
- Ganeshpur Coal Block Summary