Garrett County Casselman Clean Coal Project
According to the Sierra Club, the Maryland Coal Association met with Maryland officials in July 2008 to discuss a possible coal-fired power plant or coal-to-liquids plant in Garrett County. Carbon dioxide captured from the plant could gbe used to recover natural gas from a shale foundation in the Casselman Basin. In January 2009, county officials submitted a request for $2.5 million in economic stimulus funds for the coal-to-liquids concept. As of January 2010, no air permit had been submitted for a coal plant, and the Sierra Club considered the proposal defunct.
Location: Garrett County, Maryland
- "Stopping the Coal Rush", Sierra Club, accessed January 2010.
Related SourceWatch Articles
- Maryland and coal
- Proposed Synfuels Plants in the United States
- Carbon Capture and Storage
- Existing U.S. Coal Plants
- US proposed coal plants (both active and cancelled)
- State-by-state guide to information on coal in the United States (or click on the map)
- "Stopping the Coal Rush", Sierra Club. (This is a Sierra Club list of new coal plant proposals.)