Gas Transmission Northwest
|This article is part of the Global Fossil Infrastructure Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
Gas Transmission Northwest is an operating natural gas pipeline.
The pipeline runs from Kingsgate, British Columbia, to Malin, Oregon.
- Operator: TC PipeLines, L.P.
- Owner: TC Energy
- Capacity: 2900 million cubic feet per day
- Length: 2177.44 kilometers / 1,353 miles
- Status: Operating
- Start year: 1961
Gas Transmission Northwest (GTN) is a 1,353 mile-long natural gas pipeline built in 1961 with a capacity of 2,900 million cubic feet per day. It brings gas from Alberta, Canada, beginning at Kingsgate, British Columbia and passing through Washington and terminates at Malin, Oregon then connecting to California, connecting to the Pacific Gas and Electric system.
Prior to being purchased in 2004 by TC Energy (formerly known as TransCanada Corporation), the pipeline was named Pacific Gas Transmission. TC Energy subsequently sold 25 percent of its interest in GTN to TC PipeLines, LP, which connects via the Tuscarora Gas Pipeline. GTN's FERC code is 86.
GTN XPress Expansion Project
In November 2019 TC Energy proposed expanding the pipeline's capacity by 250 million cubic feet per day, with a completion date of 2023. The project will increase imports into Canada via Kingsgate, Idaho, USA.
Project Expansion details
- Operator: TC Energy, TC PipeLines, L.P.
- Owner: TC Energy
- Capacity: 250 million cubic feet per day
- Status: Proposed
- Start year: 2023
Articles and resources
- About Gas Transmission Northwest LLC, TransCanada, accessed January 2018
- Gas Transmission Northwest, Wikipedia, accessed January 2018
- TC PipeLines LP announces GTN XPress to enhance market access for growing WCSB supply and allow additional market penetration along GTN’s system, Globe Newswire, Nov. 1, 2019
- Natural Gas, Pipeline Projects, Energy Information Administration, accessed July 12, 2021
Related GEM.wiki articles
Wikipedia also has an article on Northwest Gas Transmission Pipeline (Gas Transmission Northwest). This article may use content from the Wikipedia article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License].