Gbarain Gas Plant power station
|Part of the Global Gas Plant Tracker, a Global Energy Monitor and Center for Media and Democracy project.|
Gbarain Gas Plant power station is an operating 225-megawatt (MW) gas-fired power plant in Koroama, Yenagoa, Bayelsa State, Nigeria. It is also called NIPP Gbarain-Ubie Power Station and Gbarain Power Station.
The map below shows the exact location of the power station in Koroama, Yenagoa, Bayelsa State, Nigeria.
Gbarain is one of several National Integrated Power Projects, which have been deemed "critical infrastructure in the generation, transmission, distribution and natural gas supply sub-sectors of the electric power value chain" by the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission.
Gbarain gets natural gas delivered from the nearby Shell Gbaran-Ubie Integrated Oil and Gas Project, although in 2017, Gbarain and its fellow NIPPs suffered a gas shortage and stopped producing electricity off and on for several months.
- Sponsor: Gbarain Generation Company Limited 
- Parent company: Niger Delta Power Holding Company (NDPHC)
- Location: Koroama, Yenagoa, Bayelsa State, Nigeria
- Coordinates: 5.031067, 6.301568 (exact)
- Gross generating capacity (operating): 225 MW
Articles and Resources
- How 8 NIPP plants scaled up power by 4,000MW, Energy Central, Sep 5, 2019
- Power Generation in Nigeria, Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission website, accessed Dec 6, 2019
- Ejiofor Alike, Gas Shortage Grounds NIPP Power Stations, This Day, Jul 10, 2017
- Williams Ekanem, Fuel Crisis Intensifies In Nigeria, OilPrice.com, Dec 28, 2017
- Gbarain Power Plant, Niger Delta Power Holding Company website, accessed Dec 10, 2019
- NIPP Gbarain-Ubie Power Station, Google Maps, accessed May 20, 2021
- Okedu, Kenneth et al (2018), Impact Of The Independent Power Producers And National Integrated Power Projects On The Deregulation Of The Nigerian Electricity Sector, Journal of Sustainable Development in Africa (Volume 20, No.1)
- Improved power supply expected as Nigeria to add 126MW to national grid, Business Day, Sep 15, 2020