Gething coal mine
|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
Gething Mine is a proposed underground coal mine, operated by Canadian Kailuan Dehua (CKD) Mines, producing 3 million tonnes per annum, near Hudson's Hope, British Columbia, Canada.
The satellite photo below shows the exact mine site near Hudson's Hope, British Columbia, Canada.
In November 2011, the Canadian government announced a new funding deal among Chinese backers for the $860-million Gething coal mine, a 40-year metallurgical coal mine. Project proponent Canadian Kailuan Dehua (CKD) Mines said it will address both environmental issues and aboriginal concerns surrounding the coal mine in northeast British Columbia. West Moberly First Nation Chief Roland Willson said the Gething project is situated near Hudson's Hope, on top of an area of strong cultural significance. CKD's vice general manager Judy Matkaluk said the Prince Rupert Port is an important gateway for China and can handle additional coal capacity.
- Owner: Canadian Kailuan Dehua (CKD) Mines
- Parent company:
- Location: Hudson's Hope, British Columbia, Canada
- GPS coordinates:56.038803,-122.305087(exact)
- Mine status: Proposed
- Start year: TBD
- Production: 3 million tonnes per annum
- Mineable reserves: 780 million tonnes
- Coal type: Metallurigcal, bituminous
- Mine size:
- Mine type: underground, longwall
- Number of employees:773
- Life of Mine: 40 years
Articles and resources
- CKD Mines, Gething Project, Company Website, accessed August 2020
- Gething Coal Project, Supply Chain Connector, accessed August 2020
- Brian Morton and Scott Simpson, "Chinese backers reaffirm interest in Gething coal mine" The Vancouver Sun, Nov. 12, 2011.