Ghadir Lamerd power station

From Global Energy Monitor
Part of the Global Gas Plant Tracker, a Global Energy Monitor and Center for Media and Democracy project.

Ghadir Lamerd power station is a proposed 913-megawatt (MW) gas-fired power plant in Fars province, Iran.

Location

The map below shows the approximate location of the power station within the "Lamerd Special Economic Zone for Energy Intensive Industries", Lamerd, Fars province, Iran.

Loading map...

Background

The Ghadir Lamerd power station is proposed to be the dedicated power station of the South Aluminum Corporation (SALCO). Salco was established in 2003. Its majority shareholder (51 percent) is the Ghadir Investment Company, the remaining shares (49 percent) are held by the Iranian Mines & Mining Industries Development & Renovation Organization (IMIDRO).

The Ghadir Electricity & Energy Investment Co. was contracted to establish the plant.[1] In June 2019 the plant appeared to be under construction including early civil works.[1]

The first phase of the smelter launched in 2020, with two additional phases slated for 2025.[2] However, as of July 2021 Salco's website states that power is coming from the Assaluyeh power plant, and: "The construction of a dedicated power plant in the vicinity of the complex in the future is also considered in future development plans."[3] It is unclear if completing the power plant is part of the next two project phases.

Ghadir Electricity & Energy Investment Co. did complete the initial power lines and substations.[4]

Project Details

  • Sponsor: Ghadir Electricity & Energy Investment Co.[1][5]
  • Parent company: Ghadir Investment Company
  • Location: Lamerd Special Economic Zone for Energy Intensive Industries, Lamerd County, Fars Province, Iran
  • Coordinates: 27.38872, 53.25221 (approximate)[6][7]
  • Gross generating capacity (proposed): 913 MW
    • Unit 1: Gas-fired[8] combined cycle[1], 923 MW[1] (start-up in 2025)[2]


Articles and Resources

References

  1. 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 South aluminum Company (SALCO)Dedicated Power Plant Organizational website, accessed Nov. 20, 2019
  2. 2.0 2.1 South Aluminium Corporation smelter finally inaugurated, The Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU), Apr 30, 2020
  3. Energy Unit, South Aluminum Corporation (SALCO), accessed Jul 27, 2021
  4. Lamerd Combined Cycle Power Plant, Ghadir Electricity and Energy Investment Company PJSC, accessed Jul 27, 2021
  5. "Contractual Service". Retrieved 2021-06-30.
  6. 16 Percent of GDP Goes to Industries in Iran Iran International Magazine, March 2016
  7. South Aluminum Corporation, Google Maps, accessed Jul 27, 2021
  8. Major Aluminium And Copper Plants To Come Online By Next Spring In Iran, Aluminum Insider, Sep 5, 2018