Ghana 1000 power station
|Part of the Global Gas Plant Tracker, a Global Energy Monitor and Center for Media and Democracy project.|
Ghana 1000 power station is a 1,300-megawatt (MW) gas-fired power plant in Aboadze near Takoradi in Western Region, Ghana. It is also known as Ghana 1000 gas-to-power project.
The map below shows the exact location of the proposed power station in Aboadze near Takoradi, Western Region, Ghana.
The project will include gas infrastructure as well:
- "The Project will include a combined cycle gas turbine power plant (CCGT), liquified natural gas import infrastructure in the form of a floating storage and regasification unit (“FSRU”) and gas pipeline from the FSRU to the power plant."
According to Endeavor Energy:
- "Ghana 1000 is in an advanced stage of development having completed negotiations and initialed its power purchase agreement with ECG, received PURC approval of its power tariff, secured its site, obtained an approved Environmental and Social Impact Assessment, and is prepared to enter into an EPC contract with a globally reputable firm having completed its EPC tender process."
In March 2017, Interfax Natural Gas Daily reported that the project would be delayed until at least 2018. Later in 2017, the news outlet reported the Ghanaian government might refuse to approve the project because the amount of power would exceed Ghana's grid capacity.
- Sponsor: One Energy Limited
- Parent company: General Electric Company; The Quantum Group Limited; Endeavor Energy; Emerging Capital Partners (ECP); AXA Entities; Other
- Location: Aboadze, Takoradi, Western Region, Ghana
- Coordinates: 4.9728091, -1.6588022 (exact)
- Gross capacity (cancelled): 1,300 MW
Articles and Resources
- Ghana 1000 Gas-to-Power Project, Endeavor website, accessed Dec 12, 2019
- Ghana 1000 Gas to Power Project, Sage Petroleum website, Nov 7, 2014
- Ghana 1,000 MW gas to power project, ESI Africa, May 15, 2014
- Tildy Bayar, GE to build 1200 MW gas-fired power plant in Ghana, Power Engineering International, Jan 28, 2015
- Miriam Malek, Ghana 1000 construction delayed until 2018,Interfax Global Energy, Mar 10, 2017
- Miriam Malek, Ghana 1000 gas-to-power project could be axed, Interfax Global Energy, Sep 29, 2017
- Daniel Marks, LNG-to-power a hard nut to crack in Africa, Petroleum Economist, Jan 2019
- Assets, Endeavor Energy, accessed May 14, 2021
- Ghana 1000 Project, Sage Petroleum, accessed May 14, 2021
- Ghana 1000 Project, Sage Petroleum website, accessed Dec 12, 2019
- Ghana 1000 Consortium and Shell Enter into Exclusive Negotiations for LNG Supply to the Ghana 1000 Power Project, Denham Capital website, Mar 9, 2015