Gibson North Mine
|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
Gibson North Coal Mine is an underground mine near Princeton Gibson County, Indiana.  It has been inactive since November 2019.
The mine is part of a larger complex, including Gibson South Mine. The Gibson South Mine is still operational.
The map below shows the exact location of the mine.
Gibson County Coal, LLC operates the Gibson South Mine as a part of the Gibson Complex. Gibson County coal is a subsidiary of Alliance Resource Partners. The mine started operations in 2000 but was idled in November 2015 because of a a decrease in coal demand, laying of 140 workers. In February 2018, Alliance Resource Partners announced that they were investing $16.5 million to bring the mine back to operation, and production re-started in May 2018. However, in November 2019 the mine was idled once again. Alliance Resource Partners blamed the decline in export demand in their announcement.
- Operator: Gibson County Coal, LLC 
- Owner: Alliance Resource Partners
- Location: Princeton, Gibson County, Indiana
- Coordinates: 38.376286, -87.613897 (Exact)
- Status: Inactive
- Capacity: 3.8 million tonnes per annum (2014), 1.7 million tonnes (January-October 2019)
- Total Reserves: 4.5 million tonnes(proven) 17.2 million tonnes(probable), 21.7 million tonnes (total)
- Coal Type: Bituminous
- Mine Type: Underground
- Start Year: 2000 
- Number of Employees: 140 (2015) 185 (2019) 
Articles and resources
- "Annual Report Pursuant To Section 13 Or 15(D) Of The Securities Exchange Act Of 1934". United States Securities And Exchange Commission. 2016.
- McGowan, Dan (10 November 2015). "Southern Indiana Mining Operation to Idle". Indiana Business. Retrieved 8 June 2021.
- Brown, Alex (22 February 2018). "Gibson County Mine to Reopen". Indiana Business. Retrieved 8 June 2021.
- "Gibson North Mine". Mining Data Online. Retrieved 8 June 2021.
- Mills, Wes (18 November 2019). "Southern Indiana Coal Mine to Close". Indiana Business. Retrieved 8 June 2021.