Giles Creek mine
This article is part of the collection of articles on coal projects in New Zealand, which has been developed in conjunction with Coal Action Network Aotearoa (CANA). See CANA's Twitter feed and Facebook page. For information on how to get involved in adding material to CoalSwarm see here.
|This article is part of the Global Energy Monitor coverage of New Zealand and coal.|
The Giles Creek mine is an opencast sub-bituminous coal mine in the Mai Mai Valley near Reefton on the West Coast of the South Island. The mine is owned by Birchfield Coal.
The map below shows the EXACT location of the mine.
Birchfield Coal owns and operates the mine which covers 2.35 km2, some or all of which is on New Zealand Department of Conservation Land . According to Birchfield the mine supplies the industrial, service and primary production sectors in Canterbury, Nelson and the West Coast.  Shallow deposit exposed by removal of top soil. Coal removed by hydraulic diggers, screened and washed. The coal may be used as a blend with faster burning, higher heat value coals.
- Operator: Birchfield Coal 
- Owner: Birchfield Coal 
- Location: Reefton, West Coast, South Island, New Zealand 
- Coordinates: -42.036799,171.799021 (Exact)
- Status: Operating
- Capacity: 0.13776 million tonnes per annum (Mtpa) 
- Total Reserves:
- Mineable Reserves: 16 million tonnes 
- Coal Type: SUBBITUMINOUS (Thermal)
Solid fuel calorific value (gross) 19.04 MJ/kg (Range for NZ coal 15.25–31.95 MJ/kg)
- Mine Type: SURFACE
- Start Year: 1984 
- Source of Financing: Birchfield Coal 
Articles and Resources
- New Zealand Petroleum and Minerals, "Operating coal mines", Ministry of Economic Development, accessed February 2021.
- Parliamentary Commissioner for the Environment, "Mining operations on Department of Conservation land", accessed December 2012
- Birchfield Coal, "About our coal", Birchfield Coal website, accessed April 2012.
- Birchfield Coal, "About Birchfield", Birchfield Coal website, accessed February 2021.
- Birchfield Coal, "Our Coals", Birchfield Coal website, accessed February 2021.
- Ministry of Economic Development, "Data Energy File", accessed December 2012