The Glades County Commission approved the project in September 2006. Prior to this approval, the St. Lucie County Commission denied FPL’s proposal to build the plant. The Sierra Club, Florida Wildlife, Earthjustice, Environment Florida, Save It Now Glades, and other local groups have led a broad opposition to the plant.
In June 2007, the Florida Public Service Commission voted 4-0 to deny the determination of need, ruling that the costs and risks of the new plants were too great.
Sponsor: Florida Power & Light
Location: Glades County, FL
Size: 980 MW (2 units)
Projected in service: 2012, 2013
Status: Cancelled (Permit Denied)
- Florida Sierra Club, conservation [at] florida.sierraclub.org
- Florida Wildlife Federation, Preston Robertson, preston [at] fwfonline.org
- Earthjustice, , tallahasseeoffice [at] earthjustice.org
- Environment Florida
- Save It Now Glades (SING)
- “Tracking New Coal-Fired Power Plants,” National Energy Tech Lab, May 1, 2007, page 10 (Pdf)].
- "Stopping the Coal Rush", Sierra Club, accessed December 2007. (This is a Sierra Club list of new coal plant proposals.)
- "Florida Public Service Commission Denies Determination of Need for Proposed Power Plants in Glade County", News Release, State of Florida Public Service Commission, June 5, 2007.
Related SourceWatch Articles
- Carbon Capture and Storage
- Existing U.S. Coal Plants
- US proposed coal plants (both active and cancelled)
- Coal plants cancelled in 2007
- Coal plants cancelled in 2008
- Coal plant litigation
- Florida and coal
- State-by-state guide to information on coal in the United States (or click on the map)