Godhna power station
Godhna power station is a proposed 1,600-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station sponsored by Karnataka Power Corporation in Chhattisgarh, India.
The project is located at Godhna village. The map below shows the location of Godhna but not the exact location of the project.
A terms of reference was issued in July 2009. In February 2010 KPCL signed a memorandum of understanding with Larsen and Tubro (L&T). The project was planned in two phases, with 1600 MW in the first phase and 800 MW in the second phase.
According to reports in the fall of 2013, the project was facing "rough weather" as KPCL disassociated itself from its project partner Larsen and Tubro (L&T). The decision to separate came due to a decision by the government not to allow coal allocation to projects involving private firms.
In August 2014 the State Government said it planned to sign a fresh MoU with state-owned NTPC for implementing the project, described as 1,600 MW (2 x 800 MW), with the third 800 MW unit apparently dropped. Under the proposed plan, Karnataka Power Corporation and NTPC would share power in the ration of 51:49.
A December 2016 update posted by KPCL described the status of the project as follows:
- tender was floated on October 17, 2016 for project consultancy;
- private land possession was completed, government land possession was in final stage;
- project awaited its coal allotment, to be followed by MoEF&CC clearance
- detailed project report was prepared by M/s. Fichtner Consultancy Engineering Pvt. Ltd., Chennai
On October 31, 2017, it was reported the project was stalled due to a lack of coal linkage.
As of January 2020 there have been no further developments and the project appears to be abandoned.
- Phase I: 1,600 MW (Units 1&2: 800 MW)
- Phase II: 800 MW
Resources and articles
- "Chhattisgarh to supply 300 MW power to Karnataka" Thai Indian, accessed January 30, 2012.
- "Terms of reference," July 20, 2009
- Sandeep Moudgal, "Coal allocation rider halts work on Chhattisgarh power plant," Deccan Herald, 10 September 2013.
- "KPCL to sign JV with NTPC for Chhattisgarh power project," Decan Herald, Aug 27, 2014
- "Cover letter for EC," KPC, Aug 3, 2015
- "L&T out of Karnataka's Chattisgarh thermal plant," Daiji World, Aug 28, 2014
- EIA, KPC
- "Godhna Thermal Power Station," Karnataka Power website, December 1, 2016
- "7 years on, power project a non-starter," Bengaluru News - Times of India, Oct 31, 2017