Gonda power station
Gonda power station is a proposed 500-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in Uttar Pradesh, India.
The map below shows Mankapur taluk, the approximate location where the plant would be built.
Background on Plant
In August 2013, an MoU was signed between NMDC Power Limited (NPL), a wholly owned subsidiary of NMDC Limited, and IEDCL, a subsidiary of IL&FS, for setting up a 2x250 MW Thermal Power Plant under Joint Venture at Gonda, Uttar Pradesh, with the investment outlay of over Rs 3,000 crore. NMDC Power will initially hold 48 per cent stake in the venture and then dilute its stake in the venture to 26 per cent, while IEDCL would have the remainding 74 per cent stake.
NMDC received a terms of reference from the MoEF for setting up the power station in Turkadih-Siswa. On January 7, 2014, it was reported that NMDC had decided to shift the location of the project from Turkadih-Siswa in view of the objections raised by a committee under the Ministry of Environment and Forests (MoEF), who said the area is fertile agriculture land. According to official sources, consultant for the power project Mecon had come up with three alternative sites that were being considered.
In October 2014 NMDC said it had put the Gonda project on hold, saying the project was not viable as there had been no progress on a location for the plant. NMDC said the project may be taken up at a later date, or cancelled.
With no further news on the project as of October 2016, it appears to be abandoned.
- Sponsor: NMDC Power, IL&FS Energy Development Company
- Parent company:
- Location: Turkadih village, Mankapur taluk, Gonda district, Uttar Pradesh
- Coordinates: 27.03, 82.23 (approximate)
- Status: Cancelled
- Unit 1: 250 MW
- Unit 2: 250 MW
- Start date:
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source:
- Source of financing:
- Permits and applications: Terms of Reference, India MoEF, Jan 17, 2014
Resources and articles
- "NMDC to shift its proposed power plant location from UP," The Economic Times, Jan 7, 2014.
- Terms of Reference, India MoEF, Jan 17, 2014.
- "NMDC puts Uttar Pradesh's Gonda power plant project on back burner," Economic Times, Oct 6, 2014