Gorgi power station
Gorgi power station is a proposed 1,320-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in Madhya Pradesh, India.
The map below shows Gorgi village, district of Singrauli, the location where the plant will be built.
Background on Plant
The proposed power station received an environmental clearance in 2010. It proposed an exact site for construction in Gorgi village. At least one of the two coal-burning units will source coal from Coal India's NCL.
The website Power Tracker lists the plant as under construction, and says domestic coal is not available, and DB Power therefore entered into an agreement with Dynamic Concepts of Singapore for supply of imported Indonesian coal through the Paradip Port, located at about 1053 kilometers from the plant site.
On its website DB Power states construction is underway on the power station, and it hopes to have all its projects completed by 2017. In July 2015, the Ministry of Power said the project is under construction, with unit 1 planned for operation in 2018 or later. In March 2016, the Ministry said unit 1 was planned for September 2017, with no date offered for unit 2.
Environmental clearance was extended for one 660 MW unit in March 2016. In April 2016 Financial Express said phase II was "unpredictable" due to "financial issues leading to delays in or stoppage of the construction work."
According to the India government (July 2016) work on the plant is "on hold at site due to financial crunch being faced by the developer." The government lists unit 1 as planned for 2017, and offers no information on unit 2, which appears shelved for now.
As of October 2016, the Ministry of Power reports that construction of administrative buildings and hostel facilities has been completed, and excavation work in water reservoir area and chimney has started, but that erection of structures has not begun. The Ministry sites financial constraints as the reason for the lack of further promise. No mention is made of the second unit, which appears to be abandoned.
- Sponsor: DB Power/Diliigent Power Ltd.
- Parent company: Dainik Bhaskar Group
- Location: Gorgi village, Deosar taluk, Singrauli district, Madhya Pradesh
- Coordinates: 24.116667, 81.933333 (exact)
- Status: Construction on hold (Unit 1); Cancelled (Unit 2)
- Unit 1: 660 MW
- Unit 2: 660 MW
- Type: Supercritical
- Start date: 2017 (Unit 1)
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source: Indonesia
- Source of financing:
- Permits: Environmental clearance, India MoEF, Sep 9, 2010; Environmental clearance extension, India MoEF, Mar 4, 2016
Resources and articles
- Environmental clearance, Sep 9, 2010.
- "DB Power’s Coal Based Thermal Power Plant," Power tracker, accessed March 2014.
- "About Us," DB Power, accessed March 2014.
- "Supply of coal to Power Plants," India Ministry of Power, July 23, 2015
- "Monthly Report on Broad Status of Thermal Power Projects in the Country," Government of India Ministry of Power, March 2016
- Environmental clearance extension, India MoEF, Mar 4, 2016
- "No coal for needy power units," The Financial Express, Apr 4, 2016
- "Monthly Report on Broad Status of Thermal Power Projects in the Country," Government of India Ministry of Power, July 2016
- "Monthly Report on Broad Status of Thermal Power Projects in the Country," Government of India Ministry of Power, October 2016