Grande Cache Coal
|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
The Grande Cache Mine is located near the town of Grande Cache in Western Alberta, Canada.
The satellite photo below shows the approximate mine location near Grande Cache, Alberta, Canada.
Originally owned by Grande Cache Coal (GCC), the No. 7 Underground Operation has been in production since the fall of 2004, and the No. 8 Surface Pit went into production in the summer of 2010. In December of 2009, GCC announced plans for a strategic expansion to increase the annual "clean coal" production to a rate of 3.5 million tonnes of coal by March 31, 2013. On Nov. 1, 2011, China’s Winsway Coking Coal Holdings Ltd. and Japan’s Marubeni Corp. agreed to acquire Grande Cache Coal Corp. for about C$1 billion ($1 billion). GCC has received the amended mine permit and a new mine licence from the Energy Resources Conservation Board (ERCB) necessary to commence development of its new No. 12 South B2 underground operation. The No. 12 South B2 underground operation has an estimated resource base of 11.6 million tonnes and coal production is estimated to commence during the third quarter of fiscal 2012, which begins October 1, 2011. Grande Cache Coal has one additional permit and license application in progress, referred to as No. 12 South A Surface Pit.
The mine closed in 2015 due to low coal prices. Grande Cache Coal went into receivership in January 2017 after its Chinese owner defaulted on paying off a debt of roughly $500 million. In January 2018, the mine’s receiver Deloitte, LLP went before an Alberta Court seeking approval to sell the mine to a new buyer. The mine announced on its website that the court approved the sale of GCC’s assets to SonicField Global Limited on January 8, 2018, with a view to closing a transaction by the end of May 2018. The underground mine remains closed, but surface mining production at Grande Cache restarted in August 2018 after the deal closed in May.
- Owner: CST Canada Coal Limited
- Parent company: SonicField Global Limited
- Location: Grande Cache, Alberta, Canada
- GPS coordinates: 53.885122,-119.1430276
- Mine status: Operating
- Start year: 2004
- Mineable reserves: 586.9 million tons
- Coal type:
- Mine size:
- Mine type: Surface
- Production: 100,000 tons per year
- Additional proposed production:
- Equipment: Open pit mining and room and pillar mining
- Number of employees: 200
Articles and resources
- "Corporate Profile", Grande Cache Coal Website, accessed Oct. 2011.
- "Winsway, Marubeni to Acquire Grande Cache Coal for C$1 Billion" Bloomberg, Oct. 31, 2011.
- Deloitte finds buyer for Grande Cache coal mine, Energetic City.ca, JANUARY 10, 2018.
- Coal Production, Alberta Energy Regulator, accessed October 2019.
- No. 8 (CST Coal) Mine, Mining Data Solutions, accessed October 2019.