Grange Holdings power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Pakistan and coal.|
Grange Holdings Power Project, also known as the Arifwala power station, is a proposed 163-megawatt (MW) coal plant in Punjab province, Pakistan.
The map below shows the location of the town of Arifwala, the approximate location of the proposed project, in Pakpattan district, Punjab province.
In 2015 it was reported Grange Power Limited was proposing a coal plant of 163 MW in Arifwala, with a planned operation date of 2019.
In June 2015 the Pakistan Private Power and Infrastructure Board approved the power station. While the Pakistani government has periodically stated that the project is moving forward, there has been no news indicating that the project has begun construction.
In October 2015, China Western Power Industrial Co. announced that it plans to become the controlling shareholder of Pakistan's Grange Power Limited through an investment of US$29.58 million to gain a 51 percent share.
The Grange Power website, dated 2016, does not list a 163 MW coal plant in Arifwala among its projects, but instead a 220 MW coal plant in Chishtian, 100 km south in Bahawalnagar district, Punjab Province. According to the website, the "Project has been offered as an Independent Power Project (IPP) by Private Power and Infrastructure Board (PPIB) Ministry of Water and Power Government of Pakistan." The plant will run on Imported Coal for 30 years, and the EPC contract is from China. However, there are no external sources verifying plans for this plant.
As of October 2016, the 163 MW Arifwala project is still listed among the "Upcoming IPPs" list of the Ministry of Water & Power. The project has reportedly been issued a Letter of Intent (LOI) / Notice to Proceed (NTP) for fast-track development.
According to the Pakistan Ministry of Energy (updated December 12, 2019), the plant's "Notice for Guarantee Encashment [is] under litigation".
- Sponsor: Grange Power Limited
- Parent company: China Western Power Industrial Co.
- Location: Arifwala tehsil, Pakpattan district, Punjab province, Pakistan
- Coordinates: 30.2851947, 73.0623435 (approximate)
- Status: Announced
- Capacity: 163 MW
- Projected in service:
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source: Imported
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- "Upcoming," Pakistan Private Power and Infrastructure Board, updated on 16-06-2015
- "Chinese company to set up 1,400MW coal power project," Daily Times, June 17, 2015
- Seven Power Projects in Pakistan to reach Financial Close, Today in Pakistan, 18 Sept. 2015.
- "China West Power to increase equity in Pakistan Grange Power Limited," ChinaGoAbroad, 12 Oct 2015
- "Projects," Grange Holdings, accessed Dec 2017
- "Upcoming IPPs," Private Power & Infrastructure Board, Ministry of Power, accessed October 10, 2016
- "Workshop on Challenges and Prospects for Regional," UNECE, Oct 18, 2016
- Another breakthrough of overseas EPC general contract projects: The general contract project Grange Power 1×150MW coal-fired power station of Pakistan was formally signed, CEEC press release, 3 May 2018.
- "Upcoming IPPs," Private Power & Infrastructure Board, Ministry of Power, updated December 17, 2018.
- Upcoming IPPs, Pakistan Ministry of Energy, December 12, 2019