Greater Soutpansberg Project
|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
|Please visit Global Energy Monitor to download the dataset|
The Greater Soutpansberg Project is a proposed group of opencast mines, owned by MbeuYashu (Pty), a company jointly owned by MC Mining Limited and Rothe Investments (Pty) Ltd. It is expected to produce a combined total of 16.4 million tonnes per annum, in Makhado, Vhembe, Limpopo, South Africa.
The mining complex will include the Chapudi, Mopane, and Generaal mines.
The map below shows the approximate location of the project, which is near Mudimeli, Makhado local municipality, Vhembe district municipality, Limpopo, South Africa.
The Greater Soutpansberg Project (GSP) is a long-term project owned by MC Mining composed of three other projects -- the Chapudi coal project, Mopane coal project, and Generaal coal project, according to the company's 2019 Annual Report. The GSP is near the Musina–Makhado special economic zone (SEZ) designated by the South African government for the development of metallurgical plants and a coal-fired power station.
In November 2019, the Department of Mineral Resources granted MC Mining rights to the Generaal project.
MC Mining reports that mining rights for the Mopane project were granted in February 2021, meaning that mining rights for all three projects have now been granted. The company anticipates commencing with the various studies required for the outstanding water and environmental regulatory approvals once funding for Phase 1 of its Makhado project has been secured.
- Operator: MC Mining
- Owners: MC Mining Limited (74%) and Rothe Investments (Pty) Ltd (26%)
- Location: Limpopo province, South Africa
- GPS Coordinates: -22.803733, 29.962367 (approximate; co-located with Makhado coal mine.)
- Mine Status: Proposed
- Start Year:
- Capacity: 16.4 million tonnes per annum
- Mineable Reserves: 1,051 million tonnes (Chapudi, 975 mt; Mopane, 21 mt; Generaal, 55 mt) 
- Coal Type: Coking and thermal
- Mine Size:
- Mine Type: Surface
- Source of Financing:
Articles and Resources
- Projects, MCMining website, accessed July 2022.
- General Environmental Impact Assessment Report, January 2014.
- MC Mining secures mining right for Chapudi coal project in South Africa, NS Energy, 11 Dec 2018.
- MC Mining Annual Report 2019, 23 Oct 2019, MC Mining website, accessed Nov 2019.
- Luke Daniel, A look at China’s big plans for Limpopo and why locals should be concerned, The South African, 12 Sep 2018.
- MC Mining receives mining right for Generaal project in South Africa, Mining Technology, 5 Nov 2019.
- Staff reporter, MC Mining rises 50% on Chapudi mining right, Mining Journal, 11 Dec 2019.
- MC Mining SA coal project gets green light, Mining Journal, 5 Nov 2019. (Sub req'd)
- 2021 Annual Report, MC Mininng Ltd., accessed July 2022.
Related GEM.wiki articles