Greater Soutpansberg Project
|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
The Greater Soutpansberg Project is a proposed group of mines, owned by MC Mining Limited, Black Economic Empowerment partner, and Rothe Investments (Pty) Ltd, to produce 16.4 million tonnes per annum, in Makhado, Vhembe, Limpopo, South Africa.
The mines include: Chapudi, Mopane, and Generaal.
The map below shows the approximate location of the project, which is near Mudimeli, Makhado local municipality, Vhembe district municipality, Limpopo.
The Greater Soutpansberg Project (GSP) is a long-term project owned by MC Mining composed of three other projects -- the Chapudi coal project, Mopane coal project and the Generaal coal project, according to the company's 2019 Annual Report. The GSP is near the Musina–Makhado special economic zone (SEZ) designated by the South African government for the development of metallurgical plants and a coal-fired power station.
In November 2019, the Department of Mineral Resources granted MC Mining rights to the Generaal project. When all three projects get greenlit by DMR, MC Mining will begin "the various studies required for the outstanding water and environmental regulatory approvals."
- Owner: MC Mining
- Parent company: MC Mining Limited (74%) and Black Economic Empowerment partner, Rothe Investments (Pty) Ltd (26%)
- Location: near Mudimeli, Makhado local municipality, Vhembe district municipality, Limpopo
- GPS coordinates: -22.803733, 29.962367 (approximate; co-located with Makhado coal mine.)
- Mine status: Proposed
- Start year:
- Mineable reserves: 1,051 million tonnes (Chapudi, 975 mt; Mopane, 21 mt; Generaal, 55 mt) 
- Coal type: Coking and thermal
- Mine size:
- Mine type: surface
- Number of employees:
Articles and Resources
- General Environmental Impact Assessment Report, January 2014.
- Staff writer, MC Mining secures mining right for Chapudi coal project in South Africa, NS Energy, 11 Dec 2018.
- MC Mining Annual Report 2019, 23 Oct 2019, MC Mining website, accessed Nov 2019.
- Luke Daniel, A look at China’s big plans for Limpopo and why locals should be concerned, The South African, 12 Sep 2018.
- MC Mining receives mining right for Generaal project in South Africa, Mining Technology, 5 Nov 2019.
- Staff reporter, MC Mining rises 50% on Chapudi mining right, Mining Journal, 11 Dec 2019.
- MC Mining SA coal project gets green light, Mining Journal, 5 Nov 2019. (Sub req'd)
Related SourceWatch Articles