GreenGen Power Station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of China and coal|
The GreenGen power station (华能天津IGCC示范电站一期) is a 250-megawatt (MW) integrated gasification combined cycle (IGCC) power plant and proposed 800 MW carbon capture and storage (CCS) plant in Tianjin, China.
The undated satellite photo below shows the IGCC plant in Tianjin.
GreenGen Ltd. Co. China was established by the China Huaneng and Tianjin Jinneng Investment Company. Peabody Energy joined the consortium in December 2007 as the only non-Chinese participant in the program. The goal of the GreenGen program in Tianjin is to develop a large-scale IGCC–CCS demonstration project in China, at an estimated cost of US$1.5 billion. The program is being carried out in three phases.
The first phase is a 250-megawatt integrated gasification combined cycle power plant, which will convert coal into ‘syngas’ — a mixture of carbon monoxide and hydrogen — to be burned in specialized turbines to produce electricity. Construction of the plant began in 2009 and was completed in 2012.
The second phase is a pilot plant designed to send a "clean" stream of hydrogen through fuel cells and turbines to produce electricity, with carbon dioxide being captured for industrial use. Construction of Phase II began in early 2014.
The third phase of 2 x 400 MW will be an 800-megawatt power plant with full-scale carbon capture and storage in underground rock layers. The original planned completion date was 2015 but was then pushed back to 2020. The CO2 may be used for enhanced oil recovery at the Tianjing Dagang oil field.
In 2011 it was reported that phase III will be gas-fired.
- Sponsor: China Huaneng (86%), Tianjin Jinneng Investment Company (14%)
- Location: Lingang Industrial Park, Binhai New Area, Tianjin, China
- Coordinates: 38.92504, 117.727091 (exact)
- Status: Operating (coal gasification unit); Cancelled (CCS units)
- Capacity: Coal gasification unit: 250 MW; CCS units: 2 x 400 MW
- Type: Coal gasification and CCS
- Start date: 2012 (coal gasification unit)
- Coal Type: Sub-bituminous coal
- Coal Source:
- Source of financing:
Resources and articles
- Jeff Tollefson & Richard Van Noorden, "Slow progress to cleaner coal," Nature, April 11, 2012.
- "华能天津IGCC技术创新 路向何方," 2014-9-19
- "Huaneng GreenGen IGCC Project (Phase 3)," Global CCS Institute, accessed December 2014
- "领先世界水平的华能天津IGCC电站示范工程正式投产," Tianjin Harbor Economic Area, 2012-12-13
- "华能天津二期改技术路线," 2011年04月19日