|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Canada.|
Greenhills coal mine is owned by Teck Coal, producing 5.4 million tonnes per annum, near Elkford, British Columbia, Canada.
The map below shows the exact location of the mine site near Elkford, British Columbia, Canada.
The minesite is 11,806 hectares, of which approximately 2,265 hectares have been mined or are scheduled for mining. Greenhills is operated under a joint venture agreement among Teck, POSCO Canada Limited (“POSCAN”) and POSCAN’s parent, POSCO. Teck has an 80% interest in the joint venture while POSCAN has a 20% interest.
Coal mined at Greenhills is primarily steelmaking coal, with annual production capacities of 4.5 million tons. Proven and probable reserves at Greenhills are projected to support mining at 2010 production rates for a further 28 years.
- Owner: Teck Coal
- Parent company: Teck (80%), POSCO Canada Limited (“POSCAN”) and POSCAN’s parent, POSCO (20%).
- Location: Elkford, British Columbia, Canada
- GPS coordinates: 50.20028,-115.0083 (exact)
- Mine status: Operating
- Start year:
- Mineable reserves:179.5 million tonnes
- Coal type:
- Mine size: 11,806 ha
- Mine type: Surface
- Production: 5.4 million tons per annum 
- Equipment: surface, open pit mining
- Number of employees: 600