Grootegeluk coal mine
|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
The Grootegeluk coal mine is an open-cut coal 25 kilometres from Lephalale, in Limpopo province in South Africa. The mine owned by Exxaro Coal, a wholly owned subsidiary of the South African mining company Exxaro.
The map below shows the location of the mine, near Lephalale, in Lephalale municipality, Waterberg district, Limpopo province, South Africa.
The Grootegeluk coal mine began operation in 1980. It produces 26 million tons of coal per year (Mtpa), and has estimated recoverable reserves of 3,261 million tons (Mt). It is owned by Exxaro. It provides coal to two mine-mouth coal power plants, Medupi Power Station and Matimba Power Station, which together consume 22 Mtpa of the mine's coal.
In September 2008 Exxaro signed the Medupi Coal Supply and Off-Take Agreement (CSA) with Eskom. Under the agreement, Exxaro would supply "an average of 14,6 million tonnes per annum of power station grade coal" over 40 years for the project from an expansion of the Grootegeluk mine. "At the time, Exxaro’s capital expenditure for the Grootegeluk Medupi Expansion Project was estimated at R9 billion and delivery of first coal was planned to commence in the fourth quarter of 2011 with a ramp-up to full production by 2014," Exxaro stated.
In late March 2010, Exxaro stated the company had "signed a definitive agreement on 26 March 2010. In terms of the revised agreement, the delivery of first coal is planned for the second quarter of 2012 with a ramp-up to full production by 2015. This ramp-up is now in line with the commissioning and commercial operation date of the first unit of the power station."
- Sponsor: Exxaro Coal
- Parent Company: Exxaro
- Location: Lephalale, in Lephalale municipality, Waterberg district, Limpopo province, South Africa.
- GPS Coordinates: -23.671667,27.528889(exact)
- Status: Operating
- Production Capacity: 23.4 mtpa
- Total Resource:
- Mineable Reserves: 3261 million tons (with 2576 mt proved)
- Coal type: Thermal
- Workforce Size: 3200
- Mine Type: surface, open pit
- Mine Size: 8.5 km2
- Start Year: 1980
- Source of Financing:
Articles and Resources
- "Grootegeluk", Exxaro website, accessed May 2010.
- "our Group structure", Exxaro website, may 2010.
- Grootegeluk, Exxaro website, accessed June 2019.
- Grootegeluk Coal Mine, Wikipedia, accessed June 2019.
- Exxaro, "Medupi coal supply and off-take agreement update", Media Release, March 31, 2010.
- Exxaro,Grootegeluk, Company Website, accessed August 5, 2020
- https://sahris.sahra.org.za/sites/default/files/additionaldocs/EXX2678_Grootegeluk_Draft_Section102_Submitted_2014-07-15_KG.pdf Grootegeluk Coal Mine Environmental Impact Assessment and Environmental Management Programme (EIA/EMP) Report], July 2014.