Gulf Coast Express Pipeline
|This article is part of the Global Fossil Infrastructure Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
Gulf Coast Express Pipeline is a natural gas pipeline in Texas, USA.
The pipeline runs from Coyanosa, Texas, USA to Agua Dulce, Texas, USA, and a proposed lateral extending to Midland, Texas, USA.
- Owner: Kinder Morgan (50%), DCP Midstream (25%), Targa Resources (25%)
- Proposed capacity: 1,980 million cubic feet per day
- Length: 800.6 kilometers / 497.5 miles
- Diameter: 36-inches, 42-inches
- Cost: US$1,750,000,000
- Status: Operating
- Start Year: 2019
Kinder Morgan started construction on the Gulf Coast Express Pipeline Project (GCX Project) in May 2018. The approximately $1.75 billion GCX Project is designed to transport up to 1.98 Bcf/d of natural gas from the Permian Basin to the Agua Dulce, Texas area and is now fully subscribed under long-term, binding transportation agreements. The project is expected to be in service in October 2019, pending the receipt of necessary regulatory approvals. Shippers that have committed to the project include the following: DCP Midstream, Targa, Apache Corporation, Pioneer Natural Resources Company and XTO Energy, a subsidiary of ExxonMobil. KMTP also has committed volumes that are backstopped by a long-term purchase agreement that locks in the equivalent transport fee on the pipeline. Kinder Morgan will build, operate and own a 50 percent interest in the GCX Project, and subsidiaries/affiliates of DCP Midstream and Targa Resources will each hold a 25 percent equity interest in the project. In addition to transportation agreements, shipper Apache Corporation has an option to purchase up to a 15 percent equity stake in the project from Kinder Morgan.
The pipeline came online in September of 2019.
Articles and resources
- Ongoing Projects, Pipeline News, accessed October 2018
- National Energy and Petrochemical Map , FracTracker, February 28, 2020
- Enbridge’s Energy Infrastructure Assets Enbrdige, July 22, 2020
- Natural Gas Data, Pipeline Projects Energy Information Agency, July 21, 2020
- Gulf Coast Express Pipeline Project, Kinder Morgan, accessed October 2018
- Kinder Morgan's Gulf Coast Express Pipeline Comes Online, Yahoo Finance, September 25, 2019