H.R. Milner power station
H.R. Milner power station is a 150-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in Alberta, Canada.
A proposed 500 MW supercritical coal unit at the plant was later changed to natural gas.
The map below shows the plant in Grande Cache.
The power station consists of one 150 MW subcritical coal-burning unit. Construction of HR Milner began in 1969 by Canadian Utilities, Alberta Power’s parent company, and was commissioned in 1972. Since 2000, the facility was operated by ATCO Power (2000) Ltd. under an operating agreement with the Alberta Balancing Pool. It was acquired by Maxim Power in 2005.
In March 2016 Maxim Power announced the shutdown of the H.R. Milner plant, saying the facility is losing money at current spot market prices. The company said it may convert the unit to natural gas. It is planned to retire in 2019. In September 2018 Maxim announced that it would operate the plant at full capacity until the end of 2019, and at 9% capacity for ten years after that. On Dec. 31, 2019 Unit 1 was converted to run at 9% capacity on a 50/50 mixture of gas and bituminous coal.
The proposal was considered controversial as the approval was given just in time to allow construction to be completed before new federal regulations, which would essentially prevent new coal plant construction without carbon capture and storage, were put into place.
In the wake of new federal regulations governing greenhouse gas emissions introduced in 2012, Maxim Power applied to change the new unit from one 500 MW coal-fired generator to two 260 MW natural gas fired generators. This application was approved by the Alberta Utilities Commission in June 2014.
- Sponsor: Maxim Power
- Location: Grande Cache, Greenview, Alberta, Canada
- Coordinates: 54.0076588, -119.103559 (exact)
- Status: Operating
- Capacity: 150 MW
- Type: Subcritical
- Start date: 1973
- Coal Type: Bituminous
- Coal Source: Domestic
- Source of financing:
Resources and articles
- "HR Milner Generating Station," Milner Power, accessed May 2016
- "Alberta's power market 'upside down,' exec says as Maxim Power shuts down plant," Calgary Herald, Mar 30, 2016
- "Alberta Power Market Changes," Solar Plantation, Mar 26, 2017
- 1 Electric Utility That’s Poised to Soar, The Motley Fool, Sep. 17, 2018
- H.R. Milner Generating Station, Wikipedia, accessed June 2020
- "H.R. Milner Power Plant Expansion," Maxim Power Corp., August 10, 2011
- "Green groups challenge Alberta over coal plant expansion," CBC News, Aug 02, 2011
- "520-megawatt Natural Gas-fired Power Plant," Maxim Power Corporation, June 4, 2014
Related SourceWatch articles