Hamina LNG Terminal
|This article is part of the Global Fossil Infrastructure Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
Hamina LNG Terminal is an in-development LNG terminal in Kymenlaakso, Finland.
The map below shows the location of Hamina Port, the approximate location of the project, in Hamina Municipality, Kymenlaakso Region.
- Owner: Haminan Energia, Alexela Varahalduse AS
- Parent: City of Hamina, Alexela Group
- Location: Port of Hamina, Hamina Municipality, Kymenlaakso Region, Finland
- Coordinates: 60.525, 27.156 (approximate)
- Capacity: 0.1 mtpa, 0.01 bcfd
- Cost: Approximately €100 million (US$120 million)
- Financing: A grant of approximately €30 million from the Finnish government; debt financing of approximately €67.5 million from Swedish commercial bank SEB
- Status: Construction
- Type: Import
- Start Year: 2021
Note: mtpa = million tonnes per year; bcfd = billion cubic feet per day
Hamina LNG Terminal is a liquefied natural gas (LNG) regasification terminal under development in Kymenlaakso Region. The project is being built by a joint venture of Alexela Varahalduse AS (a subsidiary of Estonia's Alexela Group) and Haminan Energia (Hamina's municipal power company). The project was 30% funded through a state grant.
As of October 2020, the terminal is expected to begin operations in April 2021.
Articles and resources
- Hamina LNG terminal in Finland reaches financial close, International Group of Liquefied Natural Gas Importers, May 17, 2018
- LNG import terminal in Hamina, Finnvera, accessed Jan. 11, 2021
- Commercial commissioning of Hamina LNG’s terminal approaching, Port of Haminakotka, October 21, 2020
- Hamina LNG website, accessed July 2017.
- Tender issued for Finland’s Hamina LNG terminal, Conferenza GNL website, 10 Oct. 2016.
- Finland: Hamina LNG terminal construction starts, LNG World News, 22 June 2017.