Han Seng power station
Han Seng power station is a proposed 265-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in Oddar Meanchey Province, Cambodia.
The map below shows the location of the power station in the Trapeang Prasath District. Planet imagery from January 2017 to July 2021 also shows development at the site.
Background on Plant
In March 2017, China-based Guodian Kangneng signed a US$330 million contract with Cambodian mineral exploration company Han Seng Coal Mine Ltd. for a 270 MW coal plant, with Guodian Kangneng’s role to include handling the feasibility study, equipment procurement, installation, and commissioning.
In November 2017, Guodian Kangneng registered a wholly-owned Cambodian subsidiary called Guodian Kangneng Technology (Cambodia) Co., Ltd. The stated purpose for registering this company was a joint venture to develop a 270 MW coal power plant in Oddar Meanchey. That same month, the finance information source Rhino Star (犀牛之星) questioned how a Chinese company with only 100 million RMB of net assets could have landed a project worth 2.2 billion RMB.
In 2019, it was reported that Han Seng Coal Mine was proposing a 2 x 100 MW coal plant in Oddar Meanchey Province, with unit 1 planned for operation in November 2020 and unit 2 in November 2021.
In March 2020, the National Assembly of Cambodia approved a draft provision of a state guarantee for the power project. The plant would be the first in the country to use coal from Cambodia. The plant was planned to generate 130 MW in 2021 and increase to 265 MW in 2022.
In May 2020, it was reported the plant was 50% complete, despite the fact that the plant is still seeking approvals.
In June 2020, it was reported that Guodian Kangneng, Electricite Du Cambodge, and Han Seng Coal Mine Co. had recently signed a Build-Own-Operate (BOO) contract for the project under the umbrella name Oddormeanchey Power Industrial Co., Ltd.
In October 2020, the Council for the Development of Cambodia approved an investment certificate for the plant.
In November 2020, it was reported the plant was 60% complete.
In May 2021, the construction of the project was mostly progressing according to plan, with infrastructure construction mainly pending the installation of the machinery. The company was planning to test the machinery by the end of 2021 before beginning operations early in 2022. The pandemic may have been the cause of some delay, as deputy provincial governor Di Rado explained: "Obviously things could have been faster, but Covid-19 has made it impossible to transport machinery for installation, even though the buildings' infrastructure at the factory site and the network are almost 100 per cent done.”
In February 2020, it was announced that the total investment capital for the project would be $294.30 million, "of which 30 per cent is from the company’s fund and the remaining 70 per cent is a bank loan with an interest rate of 6.5 per cent," but the source of the loan is not provided.
- Sponsor: Oddormeanchey Power Industrial Co. Ltd.
- Parent company: Electricite Du Cambodge, Guodian Kangneng, Han Seng Coal Mine Co.
- Location: Trapeang Prasath District, Oddar Meanchey Province, Cambodia
- Coordinates: 14.23008, 104.26931 (exact)
- Status: Construction
- Capacity: 265 MW (Units 1&2: 132.5 MW)
- Type: Subcritical
- Start date: 2022 (Unit 1), 2022 (Unit 2)
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source: Han Seng coal mine
- Source of financing: US$88.29 million in equity from Han Seng Coal Mine; US$206 million in debt from banks
- Permits and applications:
Articles and resources
- "國電康能與柬埔寨合作方簽訂3.3億美元合同," 每日頭條, March 1, 2017
- "国电康能科技股份有限公司完成在柬埔寨设立全资子公司," 企业动态, November 30, 2017
- "一中资企业年收入不足1亿，却与柬埔寨签订22亿合同！," 柬埔寨柬单网, November 3, 2017
- "Koh Kong’s First Coal-fired Plant Up In The Air: Ministry," B2B, September 16, 2019
- "Royal Group gets nod for 700mW coal fired power plant from National Assembly," Khmer Times, March 26, 2020
- "Oddar Meanchey's coal-fired power plant 50% complete," Construction & Property News, May 20, 2020
- "国电康能积极实施“走出去”战略," 财讯网, June 17, 2020
- "Approves 265-megawatt Coal-fired Power Plant Project in Oddar Meanchey Province," AKP, October 23, 2020
- "Oddar Meanchey’s Coal-fired Power Plant 60% Complete, Online by 2021," Construction & Property News, November 12, 2020
- "Oddar Meanchey coal power plant set for next year," The Phnom Penh Post, May 10, 2021
- "Royal Group to invest $1.5 billion in 700 MWs coal fired power plant," Khmer Times, February 10, 2020