Hebei Xin Wu'an Steel Malaysia plant
|This article is part of the Global Steel Plant Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
Hebei Xin Wu'an Steel Malaysia is a proposed steel plant in Samalaju, Sarawak State, Malaysia.
The map below shows the approximate location of the proposed steel plant in Samalaju, Sarawak State, Malaysia.
This integrated plant would have a capacity of 10 million tpy, and would become Malaysia’s largest steelmaker if completed. But the project is publicly opposed by both the Malaysian Iron & Steel Industry Federation and the Malaysia Steel Association due to their grave concerns about overcapacity in the country. The groups even joined hands in February to call for an immediate freeze on all licenses for new long and flat-producing steel plants. The associations said in February they feared the Wu’an mega plant would lead to a crash in HRC prices and the pool of available steel scrap being reduced to such a level that substantial scrap imports would be required to cover demand.
- Private/State ownership: mixture (Metallurgical Corporation of China Ltd. 50%, Wu'an State-owned Assets Management Co., Ltd. 15.6%)
- Parent company: Metallurgical Corporation of China Ltd. 50%, Wu'an State-owned Assets Management Co., Ltd. 15.6%, other individual shareholders 34.4%
- Owner: Hebei Xinwuan Iron and Steel Group Co. Ltd. (Wu'an State-owned Assets Management Co., Ltd. 31.2%, other individual shareholders 68.8%) 50%, MCC Overseas Ltd. (Metallurgical Corporation of China Ltd. 100%) 50%
- Location: Samalaju, Sarawak State, Malaysia
- GPS Coordinates: 1.542637, 110.366834 (approximate)
- Plant status: proposed
- Production capacities (thousand tonnes per annum):
- Steelmaking process: integrated (unknown)
- Primary steel production equipment: unknown
- Power source:
- Iron ore source:
- Coal source:
Articles and resources
- Latest Developments in Steelmaking Capacity 2020, OECD, 2020
- FOCUS: New Chinese steel mega plants in SE Asia one step closer to completion, Lee Allen, Fastmarkets, Oct. 27, 2020
- Wu'an Yongcheng Casting Co., Ltd., QCC, Retrieved on: Dec. 11, 2020
- MCC Overseas Ltd, ChinaGoAbroad, Retrieved on: Dec. 11, 2020
- Local players arms over Wenan steel project, The Edge Markets, Retrieved on: Dec. 11, 2020