Bandar Abbas power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of proposed coal plants worldwide.|
Bandar Abbas power station (نیروگاه برق بندرعباس), also called Hengam Combined Cycle Power Plant or Bandar Abbas Combined Cycle Power Plant, is a 1,280-megawatt (MW) fuel oil- and gas-fired steam turbine plant and a 906 (MW) gas-fired combined cycle power station in Hormozgan province, Iran.
The map below shows the exact location of the plant in Bandar Abbas, Hormozgan province, Iran.
In August 2016 Reuters reported the 1,400 MW plant would be coal-fired and built by Tekhnopromexport, part of Russia's state industrial conglomerate Rostec. The project is estimated to cost US$1.12bn and will be financed through a Russian export loan. However, subsequent reports again stated the plant would be gas-fired.
In October, Iranian Ambassador to Russia Mehdi Sanaei said that the ceremony for the first stone laying will take place soon.
In December, Mohsen Tarztalab, managing director of Iran's Thermal Power Plants Holding Company, said the project would begin construction "in a month or two." The €1.6 billion project was expected to be running in five years, i.e. by 2022.
Gas Power Plant
As of Nov. 2019, according to MAPNA Special Project Construction Unit, the construction is ongoing.
The first and second gas turbine units came online in 2021 and the 292 MW steam unit is still under-construction.
In 2021 the open cycle gas turbines came online, and the steam turbine to convert the plant to combined cycle is under construction. The combined cycle unit is built adjacent to the Bandar Abbas steam turbine power station from the 1980s.
- Sponsor: Hormozgan Regional Electric Company
- Parent company: TAVANIR
- Location: Bandar Abbas, Hormozgan province, Iran
- Coordinates: 27.14477, 56.11190 (exact)
- Gross generating capacity (operating): 1,894MW
- Unit GT1: Gas-fired open cycle gas turbine, 307 MW (start-up in 2021)
- Unit GT2: Gas-fired open cycle gas turbine, 307 MW (start-up in 2021)
- Unit ST1: Fuel oil- and gas-fired steam turbine, 320 MW (start-up in 1980-1986)
- Unit ST2: Fuel oil- and gas-fired steam turbine, 320 MW (start-up in 1980-1986)
- Unit ST3: Fuel oil- and gas-fired steam turbine, 320 MW (start-up in 1980-1986)
- Unit ST4: Fuel oil- and gas-fired steam turbine, 320 MW (start-up in 1980-1986)
- Gross generating capacity (construction): 292 MW
- Gross generating capacity (cancelled): 1,400 MW
- Units 1-4: Coal-fired, 350 MW
Articles and resources
- "New Power Plant to Be Built in Bandar Abbas," Shana, Sep 15, 2014
- "Russia to help construct Bandar Abbas power plant," Iran Daily, Feb 2016
- "Russians to build 1.4 GW coal plant in Iran," PEI, Aug 2, 2016
- "Siemens to Help Expand Iranian Power Plant," Financial Tribune, Aug 18, 2016
- "Russia, Iran to Lay First Stone of Bandar Abbas Power Plant Soon," Sputnik International, 25 October 2016
- "Hormozgan Power Plant Construction to Begin in Feb," Financial Tribune, December 19, 2016
- "$1.6b Thermal Power Plant for Hormozgan," Financial Tribune, January 16, 2017
- "Siemens delivers second F-class turbine for Iran power plant," PressTV, Nov 11, 2017
- Work in Progress at Southern Power Plant Financial Tribune, accessed Dec. 15, 2018
- MAPNA Special Projects Construction & Development Company (MD-3) Concreting the first part of the Bandar Abbas Plant F Class turbine's foundation was done organizational website, accessed Nov 21, 2019
- Hengam(Bandar Abbas) Plant-F Class organizational website, accessed Nov. 21, 2019
- "First Unit of MAPNA's F-Class Power Plant Starts Commercial Operation in Bandar Abbas".
- Hengam Combined-Cycle Power Project, NS Energy, accessed Jul 27, 2021
- Bandar Abbas Oil Power Plant, Industry About, May 25, 2019
- Iran Electric Power Industry (2017-2018), Islamic Republic of Iran Ministry of Energy & Tavanir Holding Company
- Hengam Cycle Power Plant, Google Maps, accessed Jul 30, 2021
- Siemens and MAPNA to start transfer of know-how for F-class gas turbines, POWER Magazine, Sep 20, 2016
- The first gas unit of the F-class power plant was inaugurated in Hengam in Bandar Abbas Province, Thermal Power Plants Holding, Jun 10, 2021
- New F-Class Gas Turbine for Bandar Abbas Power Plant, Financial Tribune, Jun 11, 2021
- نیروگاه حرارتی بندرعباس, Wikipedia, Jul 11, 2021
- Preparatory Survey on the Shahid Rajaee Power Plant Construction Project, Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA), Oct 2018