High River power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of China and coal|
The High River power station (潞安山西潞光发电公司, 潞安长子高河低热值煤电厂) is a proposed 1,320-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in Shanxi province, China.
The undated satellite photo below shows the proposed location for the plant in Changzhi city.
Background on Plant
Environmental submittals place the unit size at 2 x 660 MW.
The project is under construction. It is planned for operation in 2017.
Project suspended, then revived
July 2017: Plant halted by government
In July 2017 China's National Energy Administration (NEA) postponed or halted 185 coal-burning units across 21 provinces, totaling nearly 107 gigawatts (GW). 114 coal units totaling 65 GW are postponed for consideration until after the end of the 13th 5-year plan, in 2020. In addition, 71 coal units totaling nearly 42 GW were halted indefinitely for regulation violations. NEA said its goal is to eventually suspend or halt 150 GW of coal capacity during the 13th 5-year plan (2016-2020).
High River power station Units 1-2 are among the halted coal-burning units, suspended indefinitely.
For more information, see China's 2016/2017 Restrictions on Development of Coal-Fired Power Capacity.
September 2017: Suspension lifted
After political negotiations, China's National Energy Administration (NEA) released an updated list of postponed and halted coal projects on September 26, 2017. The new list contained 151 units totaling 95 gigawatts (GW). High River power station was no longer on the list, suggesting the plant is not suspended.
In April 2018 it was reported the two units are planned for commissioning in 2019. Planet satellite photos through March 2018 shows construction is ongoing. In April 2020 it was reported that operation was planned for both units in August 2020.
- Sponsor: Lu'an Group (35%), Shanxi International Energy Group (35%), Banpu (30%)
- Location: Gaohe, Changzhi county, Changzhi county, Shanxi province, China
- Coordinates: 36.165148, 112.96158 (exact)
- Status: Construction
- Gross capacity: 1,320 MW (Units 1-2: 660 MW)
- Projected in service: 2020
- Type: Ultra-supercritical
- Coal type: Bituminous waste coal
- Coal source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- "第三批低热值煤发电项目公示," 山西日报, February 17, 2014
- "许霞就加快低热值煤发电项目开工建设现场办公," 长治日报, 2015-05-07
- Communication from Greenpeace East Asia, January 2017
- "山西潞安长子高河2×660MW低热值煤发电项目间冷塔及烟囱施工工程烟囱环壁浇筑提前完成," 中国电力化工网, 2016-04-07
- "16部委联合发文防范化解煤电产能过剩风险," Sohu.com, 2017-08-03
- "2017年分省煤电停建和缓建项目名单," Sohu, 2017-10-12
- "杨勤荣调研潞安长子高河低热值煤发电项目建设情况," 长治日报, 2018-04-26
- "长子高河2×660MW低热值煤发电厂即将并网发电," 北极星电力网新闻中心, 2020/4/13