Houaphanh power station
Houaphanh power station, also known as the Xam Neua power station, is a proposed 600-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in Houaphanh province, Laos.
The photo below shows Houaphanh province, the approximate location where the plant would be built.
In December 2012, the Laos government signed a deal with China International Water & Electric Corporation (CWE) for the Houaphanh coal project: a coal mine with a production capacity of 1.5 million tons, equipped with a 2×300MW pithead thermal power plant. The geological exploration report was approved by the Mineral Resources Reserve Center of the Ministry of Land and Resources on August 14, 2015. The plan was expected to be under construction starting in 2016 and commissioned in 2020.
In April 2016, it was reported that Long Van Limited Company of Vietnam signed a contract with authorities in Laos to search and mine for coal in the northeastern province of Huaphan, Laos. Long Van Limited Company said that an initial survey across an area of 600 hectares showed there was an estimated 60 million tonnes of coal, which would be used for a US$200 million power plant in Laos. The size of the coal plant was not stated.
In May 2018, project sponsor China International Water & Electric Corporation went to inspect the site for the project.
In 2019, another pre-feasibility study for the project was carried out. Participants included China International Engineering Consulting Co., China Water Resources and Electric Power Co., Shaanxi Coal Industry and Chemical Group Co., and Guangzhou Development Group Co.
In October 2019, officials for the local government in the Houaphanh province said they wanted to cancel the survey contract after learning that the Chinese company's operations in the province had caused hardship for villagers who had yet to see any compensation. The company reportedly damaged eight hectares of rice fields, even causing a landslide as a result of digging survey tunnels. In 2018, villagers had also submitted complaints to the district and provincial authorities demanding solutions to the surveying destruction. A meeting with the company was held, but the problems had not been addressed.
- Sponsor: China International Water & Electric Corporation
- Parent company: China Three Gorges Corporation
- Location: Houaphanh province, Laos
- Coordinates: 20.424206, 104.050747 (approximate)
- Status: Pre-permit development
- Capacity: 600 MW (Units 1 & 2: 300 MW)
- Start date:
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source: Domestic, Houaphanh coal mine
- Source of financing:
Resources and articles
- "CWE – Xam Neua Thermal Power Plant: Phase I 600MW – Houaphanh Province," Global Data, October 2018
- "老挝华潘煤电一体化项目召开可研报告专家评审会," China International Water & Electric Corporation website, October 27, 2015
- "Vietnamese firm signs deal with Laos to work on 60 million ton coal mine," VN Express, April 28, 2016
- "老挝政府副总理一行视察华潘煤电一体化项目," China International Water & Electric Corporation website, May 23, 2018
- "杨浩一行参加老挝华潘煤电评审会," 更新时间, June 18, 2019
- "Provincial Official in Laos Wants to Cancel Concession for Chinese Coal Company," Radio Free Asia, October 2, 2019