Chaohu power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of China and coal|
Chaohu power station (华能巢湖发电公司) is a 1,200-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant in Anhui Province, China.
An additional 1,320 MW was proposed and then cancelled.
The map below shows the plant, which is located in Chaohu District, Hefei Prefecture, Anhui Province.
Background on Plant
The two existing coal-fired units of Chaohu power station, totaling 1,200 MW, were brought online in 2008. The plant is owned by China Huaneng. Huaneng subsidiary Huaneng Power International bought a controlling interest in the plant from its parent company in October 2014.
Description of Expansion
Huaneng has proposed two additional coal-fired units at this plant, with a total capacity of 1,320 MW.
Construction on the units began in June 2016.
However, Planet satellite photos through February 2018 show no progress on the units since construction began in June 2016.
In April 2020 it was reported the expansion was being cancelled in favor of the 2 x 660 MW Anhui Huainan Panji power station.
- Sponsor: Huaneng Chaohu Power Generation Co., Ltd. 华能巢湖发电有限责任公司
- Owner: Huaneng Power International 60%; Huaihe Energy (Group) Co., Ltd. 30%; CHINA HUA NENG GROUP HONG KONG LIMITED 中國華能集團香港有限公司 10%.
- Parent company: Huaneng
- Location: Chaohu, Hefei Prefecture, Anhui Province, China
- Coordinates: 31.652, 117.8229 (exact)
- Status: Units 1-2: Operating, Units 3-4: Cancelled
- Gross capacity: 1,200 MW (Units 1 & 2: 600 MW); 1,320 MW (Units 3 & 4: 660 MW)
- Type: Supercritical
- In service: Units 1-2: 2008
- Coal type: Bituminous
- Coal source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- ↑ Ailun Yang and Yiyun Cui, "Global Coal Risk Assessment: Data Analysis and Market Research," World Resources Institute working paper, November 2012
- ↑ Huaneng Chaohu Powerplant, Enipedia, accessed 2014-11.
- ↑ Huaneng Chaohu Coal Power Plant China, Global Energy Observatory, accessed 2014-11.
- ↑ Jiang Jiao et al, Design Innovation and Optimization of Huaneng Chaohu 2×600 MW Unit Project, Jiangsu Electric Power Design Institute, accessed 2014-11.
- ↑ Huaneng Power International buys interests from connected firms, Shanghai Daily, 2014-10-14.
- ↑ "关于安徽华能巢湖电厂二期扩建项目环境影响报告书的批复,", 中华人民共和国环境保护部 , 2014-03-13.
- ↑ "华能巢湖电厂二期项目获核准" 中国火力发电网, 2015-02-12
- ↑ "静态投资近40亿元 华能巢湖电厂二期工程开工"北极星电力网新闻中心, 2016/6/24
- ↑ "安徽省大型煤电项目规模调整情况公示：华能2台66万千瓦燃煤机组拟取消," 北极星电力网新闻中心, 2020/4/20