Jawa-7 power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Indonesia and coal|
Jawa-7 power station is a 1,982-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant in Banten Province, Indonesia.
The satellite photo below shows the project, located in Desa Terate, Kecamatan Kramatwatu, Serang Regency, Banten Province.
Background on Plant
The project was proposed by Pembangkitan Jawa Bali, a division of state-owned PLN. The sponsor hoped to attract other co-sponsors, eventually owning only 30 percent of the project.
The project is shown on PLN's long-range plan. It comprises two 1000 MW units, one targeted for 2019 and the other targeted for 2020. Further details are not provided.
In December 2014, PLN opened bidding for the construction contract for Jawa-7. The company plans to begin construction in the first half of 2016, and have the plant completed by 2020. The plant is slated to cost 72 trillion rupiahs, or about US$5 billion.
In December 2015, PLN Director of Corporate Planning Nicke Widyawati said that the project will begin construction in April 2016. The project was awarded to a consortium whose members are PT Pembankitan Jawa Bali (PJB) and China Shenhua Energy.
In May 2017, PLN announced that the project would be completed in 2019, sooner than expected. The Indonesia Electricity Supply Business Plan (RUPTL) for 2018-2027 gives a completion date of 2020 for the plant and gives a capacity of 991 MW for Unit 1 and 991 MW for Unit 2.
Satellite imagery from Planet shows construction progress from April 2016 to March 2018.
In September 2015, state-run builder Wijaya Karya (WIKA) said the company would likely request a credit facility from China Development Bank (CDB) to fund development of the Jawa-5 power station and Jawa-7 power station. WIKA said it would work with China Nuclear Group Engineering Corporation (CNEC) and a local firm, Sumber Segara Primadaya, for the Java plants.
In December 2015, it was reported China Shenhua Energy had been awarded the development and operation contract. The company will sign a 25-year power purchase and sales contract with PLN, then will be handed over to PLN.
In September 2016, the financial closure agreement was signed for the project, which had a total cost of approximately US$1.8 billion. The China Development Bank supplied a loan of approximately US$1.32 billion. The remaining US$481 million in project costs was supplied through equity, split between China Shenhua Energy and PLN. HSBC acted as financial adviser for the agreement. The consortium has formed a special purpose vehicle for the project under the name Shenhua Guohua Power Jawa Bali.
- Sponsor: Shenhua Guohua Power Jawa Bali
- Parent: China National Energy Investment Group, 70%; PT Pembangkitan Jawa Bali (PJB), 30%
- Location: Desa Terate, Kecamatan Kramatwatu, Serang Regency, Banten Province, Java, Indonesia
- Coordinates: -5.9916943, 106.1008005 (exact)
- Status: Unit 1: Operating; Unit 2: Operating
- Gross Capacity: 1,982 MW (2 x 991 MW)
- Type: Supercritical
- In service: Unit 1: 2019; Unit 2: 2020
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source:
- Source of financing: US$1.32 billion in debt from China Development Bank; US$481 million in equity from China Shenhua Energy and PLN
Articles and resources
- "PT Pembangkitan Jawa Bali, a division of SOE power generator PLN, plans to build 2x1GW coal fired power plant in Serang, Banten commencing 2016," Saham.WS, April 23, 2015
- “PLN Long Term Electricity Plan (2013-2023),” presentation by Moch. Sofyan, Head of New & Renewable Division of PT PLN (Persero), 06 March 2014
- PLN Tenderkan PLTU Jawa 7, PT PLN press release, 2 Dec. 2014.
- PLN Buka Tender PLTU Jawa 7 untuk Swasta, Tambang, 1 Dec. 2014.
- "PLN expects to soon start construction of PLTU Jawa 7, PLTU Cilacap, PLTU Cirebon," RambuEnergy, March 1, 2016
- PLTU Java 7 Targeted To Be Completed A Year Faster, CNN Indonesia, May 10, 2017
- Rencana Usaha Penyediaan Tenaga Listrik (RUPTL) 2018-2027, PT PLN Persero
- PLTU Jawa 7 Beroperasi Lebih Cepat, PLN Bisa Hemat Rp 1 Triliun, Katadata, Mar. 29, 2019
- Indonesia's biggest thermal power plant is operational, Antara News, Dec. 16, 2019
- Jadwal operasional pembangkit terganggu wabah corona, ini tanggapan PLN, Kontan, Mar. 8, 2020
- Dilengkapi Teknologi Desalinasi air Laut, PLTU Jawa-7 berkapasitas Megawatt telah beroperasi, Radar Bangsa, Oct. 20, 2020
- "WIKA may use Chinese loans to build power plants," The Jakarta Post, September 17 2015
- "China Shenhua Energy to Gain Jawa-7 Project in Indonesia," 4-traders, 12/30/15
- 路透基点：中国国开行放贷逾13亿美元，支持印尼建设燃煤电站--TRLPC, Reuters, Jan. 11, 2017
- "Preview of Java-7 Coal-Fired Power Plant (2000MW) IPP | Transaction | IJGlobal". ijglobal.com. Retrieved 2020-11-05.
- Michael Agustinus, "PLTU 'Raksasa' 2.000 MW di Banten Mulai Dibangun," Detik Finance, 16 October 2016