Jim Bridger Mine
The Jim Bridger mine is in the process of converting from surface operation to primarily underground operation, while currently continuing production at its surface operations. The mine expanded underground in 2004, the Bridger Underground Coal Mine, and to longwall in 2007. Highwall mined coal supplied 25% of the 2005 deliveries to the Jim Bridger Steam Plant.
The coal reserves are leased and mined by Bridger Coal Company, a joint venture between Pacific Minerals, Inc. (PMI) and Idaho Power Company. PMI, a subsidiary of PacifiCorp, has a two-thirds interest in the joint venture. PacifiCorp was bought by MidAmerican Energy in March 2006, and since 2008 MidAmerican Energy has operated as a subsidiary of Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway, Inc. The Jim Bridger Plant is also owned by Midamerican/Berkshire.
It was announced in August 2010 that the Federal government approved the expansion of the Bridger Mine by 2,000 acres.
- MSHA ID: 4800677
- Owner: Bridger Coal Company
- Parent company: MidAmerican Energy/Berkshire Hathaway
- Location: Rock Springs, Wyoming
- GPS coordinates:
- Production (short tons): 6,000,000
- Type of coal: Lignite
- Mine type: Surface/Underground
- Equipment: Dragline/Longwall
- Number of employees: 400
- Union: WEW
- Mine Status: Operating
Articles and resources
Related GEM.wiki articles
- Wyoming and coal
- U.S. coal politics
- Coal and jobs in the United States
- Coal phase-out
- Headquarters of U.S. coal mining companies
- Global list of coal mining companies and agencies
- Proposed coal mines
- Existing U.S. Coal Plants
- "Jim Bridger Mine" Addcar Highwall Mining System, November 2009
- "Presentation at the 2008 Mine Expo: Jim Bridger Mine" Agoracom, 2008
- "MidAmerican Energy 2006 Annual report" SEC Info Website, Filed March 1, 2007
- "MidAmerican Energy Holdings Company Acquires PacifiCorp" Pacific Power, November 2009
- MidAmerican Energy Holdings Co., BusinessWeek Company Insight Center, accessed July 2008.
- "Feds approve expansion of Wyoming coal mine" Associated Press, August 2, 2010.