Kalbar-3 power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Indonesia and coal|
Kalbar-3 power station is a 200-megawatt (MW) power plant proposed in East Kalimantan, Indonesia. The power station was originally planned to be coal-fired, but is now planned to operate on a variety of fuel sources. The Kalbar-3 project should not be confused with the Parit Baru power station, which is sometimes also referred to as Kalbar-3 as well.
The map below shows the approximate location of the project, in East Kalimantan Province, as shown in the RUPTL for 2019-2028.
Background on Plant
This project is mentioned on Table 13 of the 2015-2024 PT PLN long range supply plan, scheduled for 2023 and 2024. It comprises two units of 200 MW.
A PT PLN September 2015 list of companies interested in mine-mouth IPP plants did not show any companies interested in the project.
In the 2016-2025 long range plan, the project is shown at 200 MW. According to the plan, this is a new project created to receive 200 MW relocated from the Kalbar-2 project. Completion is 2022. In the 2017-2026 plan, the project is again scheduled for 2022. The project does not appear in the 2018-2027 plan. In the 2019-2028 plan the project appears as a 2 x 100 MW plant with a completion date of 2025 for Unit 1 and 2026 for Unit 2.
In June 2021, the Indonesian government announced that it would no longer allow construction of coal-fired power stations after 2025 and updated its plans for many coal-fired projects under development. The Kalbar-3 power station is now planned to be powered by a mixture of energy sources, including gas and renewable energy, and excluding coal, with a target commercial operation date of 2027.
- Sponsor: PT PLN Persero
- Parent company: PT PLN Persero
- Location: West Kalimantan, Indonesia
- Coordinates: 0.3419891,108.9403069 (approximate)
- Status: Cancelled (converted to other fuel sources)
- Gross Capacity: 2 x 100 MW
- Type: Subcritical
- Start date: 2027
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- Rencana Usaha Penyediaan Tenaga Listrik (RUPTL) 2019-2028, PT PLN Persero, V-97
- "Executive Summary: Electricity Supply Business Plan PT PLN (Persero) 2015-2024"
- "Daftar Peminat IPP PLTU Mulut Tambang," Satuan Pengadan IPP, September 2015
- “Rencana Usaha Penyediaan Tenaga Listrik, PT PLN (Persero), 2016-2025,” Kementerian Energi Dan Sumber Daya Mineral, June 2016, Table 6.7
- Rencana Usaha Penyediaan Tenaga Listrik (RUPTL) 2017-2026, PT PLN Persero, p. VI-56
- https://newssetup.kontan.co.id/news/proyek-pltu-bakal-disetop-mulai-2025-energi-terbarukan-digenjot?page=all Proyek PLTU bakal disetop mulai 2025, energi terbarukan digenjot], Kontan, June 12, 2021