Kanchan coal mine
|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
The Kanchan Opencast Coal Mine is operated by South Eastern Coalfields Limited is located in village & Tehsil Bandavgarh, District Umaria, State Madhya Pradesh, India.
The map below shows the location of the mine.
Background on Mine
The Kanchan Opencast Coal Mine has a designed capacity of 0.75 MTPA on a mining lease area of 203.93 ha in Johila coalfield. It is operated by South Eastern Coalfields Limited.
The project, first, received an environment clearance for 0.32 MTPA on 8 June 2004 and got further environment clearance for peak capacity of 0.75 MTPA on 29 March 2010 from Ministry of Environment & Climate Change (MoEF&CC), India.
On 17 December 2014, Coal India Board approved the project report for a further expansion in capacity to 2.0 MTPA. The proposed Kanchan Opencast Expn. Block, is a combination of three Geological blocks viz. Kanchan West Block, Kanchan block, a part of Lohangi Block west to Lohangi Nala and additional area explored north of existing Kanchan OCP. Geological report for the aforesaid blocks viz. Kanchan West, Kanchan and Lohangi Combined report were published on September 1993 and March 1991 respectively. On the basis of Kanchan and Lohangi Combined Geological report, existing Kanchan opencast project and Vindhya Underground Project are in progress.
- Sponsor: South Eastern Coalfields Limited
- Parent company: Coal India Limited
- Location: village & Tehsil Bandavgarh, District Umaria, State Madhya Pradesh, India.
- GPS coordinates: Latitude 23.345851, Longitude 80.871272
- Status: Operating
- Capacity: 0.75 MTY
- Production: 0.14 million tonnes (2020)
- Total Resource: 10.952 MT
- Mineable Reserves: 5.82 MT
- Coal Type: Non-coking coal, Grade A-G
- Mine Size: 203.93 Ha
- Mine Type: Opencast
- Start Year:
- Source of Financing:
- Permits and Applications: Environment Clearance for Expansion of Kanchan Opencast coal mine, MoEF&CC India, 29 March 2010
- Status: Proposed
- Size of Expansion: 2.0 MTPA
- Permits and Applications: Project report for Kanchan OCP Expansion to 2.0 MTPA, CPMDI, 17 December 2014
Articles and resources
- Environment Clearance for Expansion of Kanchan Opencast coal mine, MoEF&CC India, 29 March 2010
- Project report for Kanchan OCP Expansion to 2.0 MTPA, CPMDI, 17 December 2014
- Executive Summary of Kanchan opencast mine for public hearing, MPPCB