Kangson Works steel plant
|This article is part of the Global Steel Plant Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
Kangson Works is a steel plant in Kangseo District, Nampo Special City, South Pyongan Province, North Korea.
The map below shows the location of the steel plant in Kangseo District, Nampo Special City, South Pyongan Province, North Korea.
Steel for weapons development
In March 2020, Daily NK reported that North Korea is aiming to increase its production of steel for weapons development, with the goal of selling these weapons abroad for foreign currency.
- Private/State ownership: state-owned (Ministry of Metal and Machine-Building Industries)
- Parent company: Government of North Korea
- Owner: Government of North Korea
- Location: Kangseo District, Nampo Special City, South Pyongan Province, North Korea
- GPS Coordinates: 38.729864, 125.414672 (approximate)
- Plant status: operating
- Production capacities (thousand tonnes per annum):
- Crude steel: 960
- Steel product category: flat, long
- Steel products: stainless steel, wire rod, hot rolled
- Steelmaking process: oxygen, electric
- Primary steel production equipment: 8 electric arc furnaces (EAF); LD converter basic oxygen furnace (BOF)
Articles and resources
- 2016 Minerals Yearkbook, USGS, Oct. 2019
- N. Korea ramps up steel production for weapons development, Jang Seul Gi, Daily NK, Mar. 19, 2020, Retrieved on: May 27, 2020
- Kim Ch'aek Iron and Steel Complex, Nuclear Threat Initiative, Apr. 1, 2003 Retrieved on: May 27, 2020
- Developments in Steelmaking Capacity of Non-OECD Economies 2013, OECD Publishing, Aug. 12, 2014