Karchana Ultra Mega Power Project
Karchana Ultra Mega Power Project is a proposed 4,000-megawatt (MW) ultra mega power project in Uttar Pradesh, India.
The map below shows Karchana tehsil, the approximate location for the proposed plant.
In May 2015 it was reported that the Uttar Pradesh government had sent a proposal to the Union power ministry to set up a 4000 MW ultra-mega thermal power plant (UMTPP) in Karchana, as the previously proposed Karchana Thermal Power Project had stalled. A final decision will be taken after the Centre examines the site and makes necessary coal allocation.
In March 2016 the India government said it planned to bid out three ultra mega power projects that year: Cheyyur in Tamil Nadu, Bedabahal in Odisha and Kakwara (Banka) in Bihar. Karchana was not included.
With no further developments, the project appears to be cancelled.
- Location: Karchana tehsil, Allahabad district, Uttar Pradesh
- Coordinates: 25.28, 81.93 (approximate)
- Status: Cancelled
- Capacity: 4,000 MW
- Type: Supercritical
- Projected in service:
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source:
- Source of financing:
- Permits and applications:
Articles and Resources
- "UP govt pitches Karchana for 4000 MW mega power plant," Times of India, May 16, 2015
- "Energiser for mega power projects," Telegraph, March 1, 2016