Karvina power station
Karvina power station is a 55-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in Moravskoslezsky, Czech Republic.
A new 70 MW multi-fuel unit is planned for operation at the power station in 2022. Once completed, plant owner Veolia Group will close the nearby 24 MW Czechoslovak Army Heating Plant, which is powered by coal.
The undated satellite photo below shows the power station in Moravskoslezsky.
Karvina power station is a 55 MW coal-fired unit in Karvina, Moravskoslezsky. It began operating in 1970 and is owned by French transnational company Veolia Group.
In March 2021, Veolia Czech Republic said it plans to stop burning coal at the Karviná plant by 2026.
Karvina plant owner Veolia Energie ČR is planning for a new combined heat and electric plant in Karviná, a 70 MW unit that is planned to use biomass, coal and solid alternative fuels. Construction is expected to begin in 2020, and completion by the end of 2022. After its completion, the coal technology at the 24 MW Czechoslovak Army (ČSA) heating plant will be shut down. The CSA unit was commissioned in 1951 in Karvina, and would need significant upgrades to continue operating within legal pollution limits.
In June 2019 it was reported that construction was planned for 2020 and commissioning by 2022.
In March 2020 Veolia said it was "preparing" for the construction of the boiler.
However, in March 2021 Veolia Czech Republic said it has ruled out burning coal at the plant’s planned multi-fuel boiler.
Project Details of new unit
- Sponsor: Veolia CR
- Parent company: Veolia Group
- Location: Karvina, Moravskoslezsky, Czech Republic
- Coordinates: 49.823463, 18.480287 (exact)
- Status: Cancelled as a coal plant, will burn biomass
- Capacity: 70 MW
- Type: Multi-fuel (biomass, solid alternative fuels)
- Start date: 2022
- Coal Type: Bituminous
- Coal Source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- "Veolia postaví v Karviné první multipalivový kotel v ČR," Veolia, May 18,2018
- "Veolia Energie skončí v Karviné s uhlím dříve, urychluje modernizaci své teplárny | Veolia Energie". www.vecr.cz. 2021-03-02. Retrieved 2021-02-18.
- "Unikátní multipalivový kotel v Karviné," Energy Hub, 22.06.2019
- "Teplárny řeší, jak šetřit. Místo uhlí začnou spalovat odpadky". iDNES.cz. 2020-03-07. Retrieved 2020-12-17.