Katherine to Gove Gas Pipeline
|This article is part of the Global Fossil Infrastructure Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
The Katherine to Gove Gas Pipeline was a proposed natural gas pipeline.
The pipeline would run from south of Katherine, Northern Territory to the alumina refinery at Gove, Northern Territory.
- Operator: Alcan Gove
- Parent Company: Rio Tinto
- Proposed capacity: 88.15 million cubic feet per day / 93 terajoules per day
- Length: 603 kilometers / 375 miles
- Status: Cancelled
The pipeline was proposed by Pacific Aluminum, a subsidiary of Rio Tinto, to carry gas to its bauxite mine and alumina refinery located at Gove in northeast Arnhem Land. In December 2013 Rio Tinto announced that it was shutting down production at the mine and was canceling the pipeline.
Articles and resources
- NT EPA assessment of Katherine to Gove Gas Pipeline Environmental Impact Statement, NT EPA, Oct. 25, 2013, accessed Aug. 10, 2021.
- Gove Refinery to Close in Northern Territory, New Gas Pipeline Cancelled, Industrial Info, Dec. 12, 2013, accessed Aug. 10, 2021.