|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
|Please visit Global Energy Monitor to download the dataset|
Kemmerer Mine is a coal mine in Wyoming that was originally owned by Chevron Mining but sold to Westmoreland Coal in December 2011. The mine comprises three open-cut pits including "Big Pit", which has been described as "the largest open pit coal mine in the United States."
Westmoreland Coal announced in December 2011 that they had agreed to acquire Chevron Mining’s (CVX) Kemmerer Mine in the Hams Fork Region of Southwestern Wyoming for $179 million plus with an additional $14 million in working capital. The deal included 118 million tons of coal reserves, enough for 20 years of production.
- MSHA ID: 4800086
- Owner: Chevron Mining Inc
- Parent company: Chevron
- Location: Kemmerer, Wyoming
- GPS coordinates: 41.7669, -110.5952
- Production: 5,190,147 short tons
- Reserves: 71.5 million tonnes (Proven and Probable Reserve, 2017) 
- Type of coal: sub-bituminous, low sulfur, medium BTU
- Mine type: surface
- Equipment: electric drills, electric shovels
- Mine Status: Active
- Average No. of Employees: 293
In January 2012, Utah-based Northwest Pipeline GP filed a lawsuit against Chevron, claiming that operations at the Kemmerer mine shifted the earth near two interstate natural gas pipelines. Northwest is seeking at least $20 million to pay for the pipelines to be protected and moved. The lawsuit also claims that mining activity caused U.S. Highway 30 to buckle and crack. The Wyoming Department of Transportation said there was minor damage to a 300-foot section of the road but it couldn't be directly linked to mining. A Chevron spokeswoman said that Chevron stopped mining while work was done on the pipeline but wouldn't comment on the suit.
Articles and resources
Related GEM.wiki articles
- Coal and jobs in the United States
- Coal phase-out
- Headquarters of U.S. coal mining companies
- Global list of coal mining companies and agencies
- Wyoming and coal
- Proposed coal mines
- Existing U.S. Coal Plants
To see a listing of coal mines in a particular state, click on the map:
- "Kemmerer Mine", Union Pacific, accessed June 2009.
- "Westmoreland Coal Acquires Kemmerer Mine" Forbes, December 27, 2011.
- Mining Data Solutions, "Kemmerer Mine, Mining Data Online website, Accessed May 2021
- "Pipeline company sues operator of Wyo. coal mine," Canadian Business, January 30, 2012.
- "Major U.S. Coal Mines," Energy Information Administration