Khulna power station
|Part of the Global Gas Plant Tracker, a Global Energy Monitor and Center for Media and Democracy project.|
Khulna power station is a 225 megawatt (MW) gas-fired power plant in Khulna Division, Bangladesh. It has a proposed 330-megawatt (MW) expansion, also referred to as the Khulna Khalishpur-2 power station.
The satellite photo below shows the location of the power station in Khalishpur Upazila - Khulna District, Khulna Division, Bangladesh.
The plant will be built on a site in the Goalpara Power House area where several defunct state-owned power plants sit, which were set up in 1954. Two of those old units remained operating in 2016. The original plan was for the Chinese consortium of Harbin Electric International Co. Ltd. (HEI) and Jiangsu Etern Co. Ltd. to build the plant’s simple cycle unit first and the combined cycle unit within 15 months after that.
The plant was supposed to be funded by the Chinese consortium, but in the middle of 2018, after 19 months without closing on the funding, the Power Division gave them two months to close or the contract would be cancelled.
By June 2019, the cost to build that plant had risen by 20%, but construction had not yet begun. In addition, the Bangladesh Power Development Board requested three more years for the Chinese consortium to finish the project, with strict monitoring of their progress. In 2019, the Financial Express reported that this plant's model of "bidder financing" is risky, potentially leading to higher costs and lack of project control.
- Sponsor: Bangladesh Power Dev Board
- Parent company: Bangladesh Power Dev Board
- Location: Khalishpur Upazila - Khulna District, Khulna Division, Bangladesh
- Coordinates: 22.866248, 89.536417 (exact)
- Gross generating capacity (operating): 225 MW
- Gross generating capacity (proposed): 330 MW
- Unit 2: Gas-fired combined-cycle, 330 MW (start-up in 2022) 
Articles and Resources
- Annual Report 2019-2020, Bangladesh Power Development Board, 2020
- 330MW power plant to be built in Khulna, The Daily Star, Dec 23, 2016
- Govt to build 1,130 MW two power plants in Khulna, The Independent, Jan 10, 2017
- Khulna 330mw power plant cost goes up, New Age Bangladesh, Jun 19, 2019
- Contract with Chinese consortium for Khulna 330 MW plant faces termination, Energy News BD, Jun 24, 2018
- Humayan Kabir, Khulna 330-MW power plant: BPDB seeks 20pc higher fund, three more years, The Financial Express, Jun 21, 2019
- BPDB Seeks 20pc Higher Fund for Khulna 330MW Power Plant, Energy & Power, Jul 6, 2019
- Jasim Uddin Haroon, Bidder-funded projects on rise in BD, The Financial Express, Jul 5, 2019
- Govt Plans To Construct 2 Power Plants In Khulna, Energy Bangla, Jan 10, 2017
- Khulna 225 MW Combined Cycle Power Plant, North-West Power Generation Company Ltd (NWPGCL), accessed Mar 8, 2021