Kinik coal mine
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Turkey and coal.|
The Kınık coal mine is a lignite mine, operated by Polyak Eynez Mining Company, a subsidary of Fina Energy Holding, with a capacity of 5 million tonnes per annum, near Kinik, Izmir province, Turkey.
The mine will power the Kınık power station.
The map below shows the approximate location of the proposed mine near Kınık, Izmir province Turkey.
In August 2014, Polyak Eynez received a permit to search for and produce coal in the Kınık district of İzmir. The İzmir governorship decided that Polyak Eynez did not need an EIA for the project.  Later same month, the company announced that they were planning to invest €100 million for the project. A legally required meeting to inform the public of the project was scheduled for July 30, 2015 in a local school. Initially the mine was projected to produce 500 thousand tons a year, but in 2016 its capacity was increased to 4.5 million. In 2017, the Turkish construction firm charged with building the mine was found insufficient, and a Chinese construction firm was included in the project to supply engineers.
In 2017, Muzaffer Polat, who at the time owned %30 of Polyak Eynez, announced that they were intending to start production in late 2018. He also stated that the production was going to be 5 million tons per year, of which 3.5 million would be used in the nearby Kınık power station that Polyak Eynez was constructing and 1.5 million would be exported.
In January 2020, Polyak Eynez announced that they had detected 250 million tons in reserves, and that the mine would be operational for 40 years once the production started in late 2020.
As of June 2021, it is not clear whether the mine is operational or not.
- Owner:Polyak Eynez Mining Company
- Parent company: Fina Energy Holding
- Location: Kinik, Izmir province, Turkey
- GPS coordinates: 39.085627, 27.335387 (approximate)
- Mine status: Proposed
- Start year:
- Mineable reserves: 250 million tons
- Coal type: Lignite
- Mine size:
- Mine type:
- Production: 5 million tons
Articles and resources
- İzmir'de heyecanlandıran gelişme: 250 milyon ton rezerv tespit edildi, Yenisafak, Jan. 9, 2020
- Doğan, Sinan (August 9, 2014). "Ülkenin En Zengin İş Adamına Kınık'ta ÇED Kıyağı!". Ege'de Son Söz. Retrieved June 18, 2021.
- "Polyak Eynez Enerji Kınık'a 100 milyon Euro'luk yatırım yapacak!". Emlak Kulisi. August 25, 2014. Retrieved June 18, 2021.
- "İzmir'de kömür ocağı kapasite artışı halk toplantısı 30 Temmuz'da!". Emlak Kulisi. July 15, 2015. Retrieved June 18, 2021.
- "Hüsnü Özyeğin ile Adnan Polat'tan 4 mahallenin ortasına termik santral!". Sol. April 26, 2016. Retrieved June 18, 2021.
- Aldanmaz, Ender (January 12, 2017). "İzmir'deki o madeni Türkler yapamadı Çinliler Yapacak". Ege'de Son Söz. Retrieved June 18, 2021.
- "Madene ve santrale 1 milyar $ yatıracak". Ekonomist. October 21, 2017. Retrieved June 18, 2021.
- ""250 milyon ton kömür olduğunu tespit ettik" dedi, üretim müjdesi verdi Kınık'ta kömür madeni heyecanı: "Yıllık 5 milyon ton ortalama üretim yaparak burada bulunan kömürü 40 yılda çıkarmayı planlamaktayız"". HaberTürk. January 9, 2020. Retrieved June 18, 2021.