|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
The Klipfontein Colliery is a coal mine located in the Victor Khanye Local Municipality in the Nkangala District in the Mpumalanga Province of South Africa. It is about 14 km southwest of Balmoral. It has been operating since at least 1947.
The map below shows the exact location of the project.
In 2017, Beryl Group indicated that Iyanga Mining owned Klipfontein Colliery.
By August of 2018, Mbuyelo Group was involved in Klipfontein Colliery projects. On its website, Mbuyelo Group said it owned the rights to Klipfontein Colliery but had not yet executed those rights.
- Owner: Iyanga Mining
- Parent company: Beryl Coal (Beryl Group and Burgh Group Holdings)
- Location: 14 km south of Balmoral
- GPS coordinates: -25.958984, 28.935667
- Mine status: Operating
- Start year: 1947 or earlier
- Mineable reserves: 11,073,051 tonnes
- Coal type: Opencast
- Mine size:
- Mine type: Bituminous
- Production: 500,000 tonnes per month between 3 mines - Klipfontein Colliery, Welgelegen Colliery and Leeuwpoort Colliery
- Additional proposed production:
- Number of employees: 1,000 between 3 mines - Klipfontein Colliery, Welgelegen Colliery and Leeuwpoort Colliery
Resources and articles
- South Africa's coalfields — A 2014 perspective, Hancox and Götz, International Journal of Coal Geology 132 (2014) 170–254 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.coal.2014.06.019
- Map of Klipfontein Koolmyn in Mpumalanga, South Africa, Cartographic.info website, accessed Oct. 2019.
- MINING & RESOURCES INVESTMENT PORTFOLIO, Beryl Group website, accessed Oct. 2019
- Mbuyelo Coal, A cut above the rest, Mining Prospectus, 20 Aug. 2018
- Mbuyelo Projects, Mbuyelo Group website, accessed Oct. 2019
- OPERATING MINES IN MPUMALANGA, Republic of South Africa Department of Mineral Resources, accessed Oct. 2019